significant wreck project - northern lake superior

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rick00001967

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
hi all
it seems this would be the right place to post about this. i hope the mods agree.

there is a very significant project underway in the north lake superior area being directed by the local S.O.S. chapter. the Superior Underwater Exploration Society will begin the process of marking a number of wrecks in the area with approved buoys and mooring lines etc. some of the wrecks are within an area to be newly designated as a "no anchor zone". and this is only the beginning.

below are a couple of links if anyone is interested in reading more about this. if you have any questions feel free to ask here or send me a private message.

thank everyone

Superior Underwater Exploration Society

https://www.canadahelps.org/en/charities/save-ontario-shipwrecks/

i am an active member of the new local chapter but am not 100% up to speed on how this all will play out. up coming meetings i am sure will deal with these types of issues. we are actually getting together tomorrow to start fabricating the forms for the concrete.
i would only assume that a group of volunteers would be needed each spring to retrieve the mooring lines and attach all the buoys and then remove those buoys at the end of the season to be stored on land.

update......some significant funding has been brought to the table by several local groups so the project is moving ahead as planned. the goal is to mark 5 wrecks in the area this summer. forms for the concrete anchors are complete and the first anchors have been poured and are ready to go. buoys and lift bags should be here in a couple of weeks and the hardware is ready to go. hopefully we will be marking the first site in early june.

a huge thx and congrats go out to everyone that participated in the NAS (nautical archaeology society) level 1 course this past weekend. the new qualifications should come in handy as the project moves ahead.
so many people here are doing such a great job and they are having a lot of success. thank you to them all !!

Back
Top Bottom