Sigma 70mm macro for Sony camera in a A6XXX salted line Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hector1959

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In a thread apart BArmaglot once wrote:

For a macro solution more affordable than SEL90M28G, the new Sigma 70mm f/2.8 DG Macro looks interesting, and by the looks of it, it should fit into the long port for 55-210mm lens - the Sigma extends, but so does the Sony 55-210mm, and their dimensions are quite similar....

Does anyone have ever tried it?

Regards

It would be interesting if this combination was feasible. A good macro lens (sigma ART 70mm) in an affordable port/housing.

I remember someone suggesting using the 55-210 with a macro lens (diopter) as a possible macro option. It would be even cheaper than the Sigma 70mm macro but definetly not better.
With 1 m of MFD the 55-210 would be practically useless UW without diopters, but macro 1:1 or supermacro, could be achieved with different focal distances and/or differents macro filters (diopters). The Seafrogs port comes with a zoom gear and the photographer could be add practically any diopter in hand. With a +2 MFD would be less than 50 cm.
Has anyone tried this "combination"?
Regards

For a macro solution more affordable than SEL90M28G, the new Sigma 70mm f/2.8 DG Macro looks interesting, and by the looks of it, it should fit into the long port for 55-210mm lens - the Sigma extends, but so does the Sony 55-210mm, and their dimensions are quite similar....

Regards

I am actually looking at exactly this combination or possible the Tokina FiRIN 100mm f/2.8 Macro for when I order my housing next month. They both have similar sizes to the 55-210mm and the Sony 90mm macro (see the comparison image below, and the Sigma is on a Metabones adapter because the site I used didn't have it in E-mount).

The barrels are a bit wider, but should still fit within the port. I think the real difference is how far each of the three extend (the 90mm has an internal focuser so it doesn't extend). I've got some measurements for each lens, but no measurements for the port, so I don't know how much play there is at the front of the 55-210mm at full extension. I'll try to get the image below mocked up with some lines for each off the three at full extension.

L to R: Sony 55-210mm, Sigma 70mm f/2.8 Macro, Tokina 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Sony 90mm f/2.8 Macro

So I did some quick mocking up in Pixelmator Pro. Without knowing the clearances of the port, it's hard to say for sure, but it seems to me that both of the lenses should fit, though they probably won't be able to focus all the way to 1:1. Judging by markings I've seen on the focus tubes for each lens on various reviews, I'd day you're probably going to get about 1:2.4 at best on the Sigma, and 1:2 at best on the Tokina. Given that, the Tokina is probably the better bet, since it has a bit more reach than the Sigma.

I'm looking at making a similar purchase/setup for my summer diving trip. So while that's pretty far off, I'll be more than happy to share what I find when I actually get gear in hand.

HTH.

The 70mm extends a lot when you focus

sigma70mmf28macroartreviewfeat-800x420.jpg

To get 1:2.4 (0.42 magnification) or 1:2 (0,5 mag) I dont thint it would be wise to buy/use any of these combinations. My first question was if Sigma 70mmmacro would fit in the Seafrogs port for 55-210 as the extended length of the Sony would be similar (maybe a few mm less) than that of the Sigma. I wouldn't do any of such combinations to get only 0.5X magnification.
Combining the Sigma (or the Tokina Firin) with a metabones inside a Seafrogs port for the 55-210 would be extremely expensive for the results it would give. I am not sure (that's why I Asked) if I could get 1:1 macro with the Sigma (e-mount) in the 55-210 port but I am mostly sure that I could get something between 1:1.1 and 1:1.3 (0.91 - 0.78 magnification. Beyond that I wouldn't even think about it.

Complementary information

According to this site extended lenght of 55-210 is 6 in, (152 mm)
http://kurtmunger.com/sony_nex_55_210mm_f_4_5_6_3id318.htm

According to this review the extended length of Sigma 70mm macro "is just over 6 inches" but it is not precised "how much over"
Review of the Sigma 70mm f/2.8 Art Series Macro Lens

And according to this review the tokina extens about 55 mm (and it is already 123 mm long)
Tokina FíRIN 100mm F2.8 FE MACRO - First Impressions - Christophe Anagnostopoulos

I based all my estimations on these informattions

Regards

Has anyone tried this? Doing my research as well for alternatives Sony SEL90.

Also, what zoom gear are you using for either? Or making your own?

Regards
Any updates on this endeavor? I've been looking into this upgrade as well.

Also, any comments on the zoom gear? Do you make your own?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom