Sigma 17-70mm in a housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hammerhead

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
OK, I'm a lazy swine, but has anyone out there housed one of these?

I use mine with a Canon 350D and I'm really impressed - the Macro's pretty powerful, and apart from a wee bit of vignetting, the WA works a treat, so I was thinking "how would this work if I was on a dive where I wanted to swap from nudis to sharks?"

In Palau this February, half the time was spent discussing what lens for each dive, perhaps this could cover just about everything...

...if it works, I'm patenting the idea, so don't anyone try to get smart:wink:

I have it too. Great G.P. walking around lens for my D80. It requires a dome and an extension ring. there's some guys using it in Subals and stuff over on Wetpixel.

It doesn't really do true macro and with the dome you can't get all that close. In a flat port it doesn't work all that well although with an ext ring I could do from 62mm/1:2.3 with vignette at about 32mm.

Sort of works out to a "scouting" lens as opposed to a great dedicated w/a or macro lens.

I'm going to get a dome and give it more of a go.

Jack

I've been using the Sigma 17-70 in a Subal housing with my Canon 20D since June last year. I use the smaller radius SWC dome port with a 40mm extension and a +4 dioptre. I can get down to about 1:2.3 with this combination.

Here's my initial impressions of the lens back in June/July 06:

http://www.digitaldiver.net/yabbse/index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=19103;start=msg177140#msg177140

http://www.digitaldiver.net/yabbse/index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=19441;start=msg179968#msg179968

I use it as a scouting lens, the lens I use when I don't know what lens I want to use and my main lens for medium to large fish.

Thank you both, gentlemen - that's exactly what I wanted to hear. I've got the Ikelite housing and will start looking at a new port for the lens...it never gets any cheaper, does it?

Oh well, what the hell :D

THE Hammerhead:
Thank you both, gentlemen - that's exactly what I wanted to hear. I've got the Ikelite housing and will start looking at a new port for the lens...it never gets any cheaper, does it?

Oh well, what the hell :D

:) :) :).

Can't wait to see your first pics from it :14:

That's pretty much THE lens I use on my D200 for UW photography. If you want to see examples... look in my photo gallery.

Jamdiver:
:) :) :).

Can't wait to see your first pics from it :14:

PG in three weeks...:D

Come on over:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom