Sidempunt with out cert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba fryd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
This question is mere for the technical divers.
So i am 15 years old and i am pretty advance soon to reached my dive nr100 i am being told by meny divers that i am a fantastic diver got every thing under control and more. But since i got my dry suit i can't fit that well intro my bcd so i decided to go to sidemount but i have now had 2 instrukters cancel on me. And evey were else i have to rent. A little house or something to sleep there and get my cert and it's just to expensive. But i already got every ready for diving i set op my bcd regs and tanks. I have tried sm once before with a 3 hour i truducktion learning a lot and a 20 minute dive we're i was being told i was being were good and fantastic at it. And i have done the intier sidemount box from pause rec and TEC. So now i wanna know if i got with a trusty buddy out in the water were there's is wery shallow and praktisk and try taking tanks on and off and swim around.would it be okay and can i lean sidemount my self with every thing i have leard already with my 10s of hourers whacing videos?.
Sorry for the longer text 😂
And plz give a answer i can use if you just wanna se take a curse then I don't wanna heste it tell my why

This question is mere for the technical divers.
So i am 15 years old and i am pretty advance soon to reached my dive nr100 i am being told by meny divers that i am a fantastic diver got every thing under control and more. But since i got my dry suit i can't fit that well intro my bcd so i decided to go to sidemount but i have now had 2 instrukters cancel on me. And evey were else i have to rent. A little house or something to sleep there and get my cert and it's just to expensive. But i already got every ready for diving i set op my bcd regs and tanks. I have tried sm once before with a 3 hour i truducktion learning a lot and a 20 minute dive we're i was being told i was being were good and fantastic at it. And i have done the intier sidemount box from pause rec and TEC. So now i wanna know if i got with a trusty buddy out in the water were there's is wery shallow and praktisk and try taking tanks on and off and swim around.would it be okay and can i lean sidemount my self with every thing i have leard already with my 10s of hourers whacing videos?.
Sorry for the longer text 😂
And plz give a answer i can use if you just wanna se take a curse then I don't wanna heste it tell my why
Can you learn sm yourself? Maybe. I've seen a number of people who did that and most look like a hot mess. There are a number of things to consider that are not obvious to someone trying to learn to do it on their own. And not every instructor that is allowed to teach it, can teach it. There are more than a few who did a short workshop and are suddenly a "sidemount instructor " and two minutes watching them set up their own gear shows how little they know.
But they do intros and tell people they look great. In order to sell them gear and get money off of them.
My advice is to wait. Save your money until you can afford a proper course and do it the right way.

Even if you're a good diver, sidemount skills have little to do with being a skilled diver.

While it is possible to self-teach side-mount, I wouldn't recommend it at all. It's very frustrating to learn on your own, and you'll be fighting with your equipment for quite some time. It can also be a little dangerous too, because it'll be very unfamiliar, tanks might be flopping around, and the frequent regulator-switching and monitoring multiple tanks can be a challenge.

Even if you're a good diver, sidemount skills have little to do with being a skilled diver.

While it is possible to self-teach side-mount, I wouldn't recommend it at all. It's very frustrating to learn on your own, and you'll be fighting with your equipment for quite some time. It can also be a little dangerous too, because it'll be very unfamiliar, tanks might be flopping around, and the frequent regulator-switching and monitoring multiple tanks can be a challenge.
I did it myself, though I can't recommend it for everyone. Took about 60 dives in total to get my gear behaving like I wanted it to behave. Had about 600 dives under my belt then.

Diy is no shortcut to formal training.

You can certainly learn sidemount on your own.

But...

It is much easier if someone shows you how to set your kit up and helps you out with some basic skills.

The issue with sidemount is the endless tweaking of the equipment to get it to hang correctly. Even selecting the basic equipment can be challenging.

Don't know if you have the kit or not. You say you're from Denmark, so cold and drysuit. You'll need something like:
  • 2x turret first stages with a "5th port" option (Apeks DST, Scubapro mk25)
  • 2x 8.5 litre steel cylinders. Or 7 litre. With "handed" valves - left and right
  • A sidemount harness. The X Deep Stealth Tec is a good one.
  • Various hoses and the first stages.
Setting up the harness is a pig first time. Find someone to help you. Similarly configuring the bands on the cylinders.

Then lots and lots and lots of practice!

Loads of information available, Steve Martin's sidemounting.com is very good.

That's pretty much what I did to learn how to sidemount. Wasn't hard but took a lot longer than had I taken a course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom