Sidemount with Deco Bottles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teller

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
How are you guys rigging your deco cylinders. I am aware of Edd's way of top mounting them but I dont like the idea of doing a gas switch to a cylinder I cant see. Right now I am using a standard stage strap that I use for BM diving. The cylinder does hang lower then I would like but all my diving is in open water and the low cylinder has not caused any issues yet. I like the way Steve Martin rigs his cylinders but I cant seem to get the butt of the cylinder to stay up close and snug with my body.

I rig mine just like a BM setup. Just clip it in. Of course mine gets dropped and no need to leave it with me.

Stages filled with the same gas as bottom I go with Edd's method. Any deco mixes I clip in front like stages. Bottom line is you must be able to read the cylinder and trace the reg and know for sure what you're breathing.

My newbie 0.02 contribution to the sidemount forum. I generally dive 2 faber steel 12L and 1 luxfer 80cf deco and I bottom mount the deco. I have 2 shoulder D rings and the fabers goes on the bottom D ring and the luxfer on the top D ring. At the back faber clipped off on the rails and luxfer on hip D ring. I find this makes reading the deco bottle and switching much easier as there's nothing else at that "level" to get in the way. I have purchased a commercial 80cf stage kit and I find the length / distance of bolt just right. The luxfer being less negative tend to sit pretty snug against the faber.

I dive HP steel 120s with back gas, I carry up to 4 stage/deco bottles (80cf) stacked above my main tanks and still have room for my inflator system. I find no difficulty in making gas switches, trim is good. Try different configurations in controlled conditions and find what best suits you for gas switches, trim, and overall confidence in the setup.

I am single back mounting today but will be trying the rig I saw in Jill Heinerth's and Jeff Loflin's Sidemount Video. Two bungees with clips, one about a third the way down on the tank and the other around the neck. I can clip it on and off fine in the shop, but I'll hold off my final analysis for after I dive with it. The only variance from the video is that my valve bungee doesn't use the two quick links. Instead, I use Lamar's method of having a small bungee loop aroung the neck to hold the second stage in place without clips.

I know this is going to cause an uproar but I have an idea on this one. I have been carrying my o2 bottle on top since I started deco which I really like. I have only been doing deco this year so am relatively new to tech diving. It was made clear to me by many on this board that this is not recommended. I am however able to see my bottle fine as I bungee mount the rear clip. However in the name of ensuring my safety and considering the advice of other more experienced divers I explored the following.

Here is what I am experimenting with. The reg has a plastic MOD tag on the second stage. It is permanently attached and clearly indicates the mix/mod on both sides. Mine is 2"x3" although It could be any size. You deploy the second stage. Read the tag, confirm with your buddy and then use the gas. The tag is installed on the surface while everything is clear and there is no chance of a mix up.

If this was an acceptable method then it would so simplify carrying a stage bottle in SM as they ride so nice on top. Comments? Please don't sh$t on me, it's an idea only being considered as a safe alternate. If you read the bottle mod or read the reg mod tag the result should be the same. It may even be a bit safer If you were carrying two mixes as the last piece that goes in your mouth on the delivery system has a tag that says the MOD. The tag is permenently installed on the surface and double checked on the surface with a clear head.

Stano

Instead, I use Lamar's method of having a small bungee loop aroung the neck to hold the second stage in place without clips.

How does that bungie work? Just pull the hose down through?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom