Sidemount weighting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaCat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi All,

I am predominantly a cold water diver, dry suit only and temps 2-15 C depending on time of year. In fresh water with a single 10l steel and middle weight undersuit (arctic) I would use maybe 4kgs.

I have recently started to dive sidemount and seem to need a ridiculous amount of weight in comparison when using al80, last dive I had 11kg to be neutral at 5m with 30 bar in each tank.

My instructor is great and says you need the weight that you need and not to worry. But I’m wondering if this is necessary or I’m overweighted without realising.

For cold water only I would stick with steels and have used 7l without too many problems however want to practice for using al80 on holiday. Yes, I will still be in a drysuit as refuse to go wet unless it’s 30+!

How much weight do you use for sidemount? Does mine sound excessive?

thanks all!

Scubacat

11kg in cold freshwater or saltwater? 4kg for 10L 200 bar or 300 bar tank?

if you are normally using a 10L 300 bar, that sounds reasonable

In sidemount: With lp85s and midweight undergarment i use 4lbs. Everything same but switch to al80s i use 14lbs.

single 10l steel is about 1/2kg negative, where an al80 is about 2kg positive, so a net increase of 5kg is to be expected. If you are using a SS backplate and go to a sidemount rig, that's good for another 2-3kg which could explain it.

Weighting needs when using drysuits are too subjective for what I use vs what you use because the bubble size is very personal. The only way to compare it is on the same diver with different rigs.

weezle extreme+ suit with a heated vest and crushed neoprene suit.
with what you would call steel 12s (lp85s in the USA) I use about 12kgs of lead in salt water. 9kgs in fresh and that's a bit on the edge needing to be a bit smushed at the end of a dive.

Why use the AL80's? If you sidemount 2 steels (10 or 12 liter) you probably don't need any weight at all. And above water, it's pretty much the same. The biggest benefit of aluminium tanks is that they are easier to swing in front of you, while staying in trim, but for me, I do that so rarely it isn't a big issue.
So if changing tanks is an option, I would try that.

Sorry just reread the OP. Goal is to get a baseline for holidays, so AL is desired.
In that case, yes, an additional 6 kg or so compared to a single 10 seems ok, especially when near empty. Not too excessive.

For local diving I will definitely use steels, 7l seem to be the perfect size for me and am happy to add a small amount of weight. Although for deep winter I may move to 10l as I have been known to wear 4 undersuits when it gets proper cold which does add a little buoyancy!!

Next dilemma, where on earth do I put that much weight on a sidemount rig? May need to do some on the rig and some on a weight belt.

11kg in cold freshwater or saltwater? 4kg for 10L 200 bar or 300 bar tank?

if you are normally using a 10L 300 bar, that sounds reasonable

10L 232 bar in fresh water

single 10l steel is about 1/2kg negative, where an al80 is about 2kg positive, so a net increase of 5kg is to be expected. If you are using a SS backplate and go to a sidemount rig, that's good for another 2-3kg which could explain it.

Normal jacket BCD :eek:

My gut feel (and your calcs agree) is I shouldn't need as much weight so wondering if this might be 'getting used to a new rig nerves' adding a couple of kilos. Don't consciously feel nervous but still slightly task loaded.

Not into games about how little weight I need, but being a small person the less I can carry on the surface the better

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom