sidemount tank setup help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

opie712

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all I'm using hose clamps for the bottom clip rigging I order them from dgx but having some trouble with them. I ordered size large for 7in tanks lp85. The bands will strip before they are even tight a good jerk with the bolt snap and they rotate. I'm putting the leash under the clamp then tighten down. Any one got advise other than go to cam bands which I'm trying to avoid if at all possible.

Sounds like somethings wrong with the clamps, are they exactly 7 inches? That could be the issue. They have to have enough slack to fit the bolt snap and sheath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

and if they are faber 85's, they are 6.9" tanks. Shouldn't be an issue, but they should still have plenty of room to snug down. Usually only an issue if you use 8" clamps on the smaller ones

Don't put the leash under the clamp, move it off to the side. The worm drive needs to rest on the tank surface.

I use the DGX sheathed clamps (size L) on my Worthington HP 100's which are the same diameter as LP85's and they work just fine. Is it possible they shipped you the wrong size?

They are size large for 7" tanks when they get to where they strip there is about 4" or so that's done when thru the worm bolt they are plenty long enough. I have the leash in front of the worm clamp that's how all the tanks are setup I've seen. Pretty dang frustrating thwy are brand new and before they were even tight they strip out

With 4" going through the worm screw are you sure you aren't screwing them down past the preferations in the band? Wondering if you got some that are too big. I order mine from McMaster Carr. They have some really heavy duty stainless ones. I still run 2 per steel tank though.

They are size large for 7" tanks when they get to where they strip there is about 4" or so that's done when thru the worm bolt they are plenty long enough. I have the leash in front of the worm clamp that's how all the tanks are setup I've seen. Pretty dang frustrating thwy are brand new and before they were even tight they strip out

and it sounds like they are size XL for 8" tanks. 8" tanks are just under 4" larger in circumference than the 6.9" tanks you have. They likely can't get small enough.

They are preferated all the way around so inturn should go as small as a few inches around. I'm going to call dgx to see what they say.

So just trashed the ones from dgx and found some big enough at my shop off some equipment, I didn't think they were ss or would have looked there first. Here is a photo the small one is from dgx the heavy equipment is the large one and you can crank down and get these babys tight. A photo on the tank I put some heat shrink on the worm bolt to keep from entanglements and from hurting the tank.

Photos won't upload but if you would like them I can email them to you

you may have over tightened the first set from dgx. when putting the clamps on the tank remember that there is obviously no "give" to the tank being that it is steel or allum. it is actually quite easy to over turn the worm screw on these types of clamps. if you do it will bend the little slots out of shape and the screw will slip.
at least now you know where to get them locally. :)

Back
Top Bottom