Best sidemount regulator set (ability to service outside USA)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cib

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

I currently own an Aqualung LX Supreme regulator set and Atomic Aquatics T3 regulator set for my single tank diving.

I have just started sidemount diving and used Apeks XTX50 during my training. I liked them but not a fan of the small purge button. I have a XDeep stealth 2.0 Rec BC and want a good regulator set to use with it. I primarily plan to dive in warmer water, mostly whilst travelling but also want something that can handle cold water for diving in Iceland and UK waters.

Money is not an issue as I simply don't want to compromise safety and comfort.
However, although I can source a regulator from the US, I must have the ability to service and/or repair from Europe (or at home in the middle east).

I'd like recommendations from people on the best regulator set (and why) and if either of my single tank regulator sets could be modified to provide a good sidemount set. I am a Aqualung Tech so have focussed on AL/Apeks so far but open to other ideas. I would be eager to convert my Legend to a sidemount but the fixed turret design seems to be considered a bad option amongst many sidemount divers. Is it really a hinderance or simply requires more forethought to setup?

I have been reading MANY reviews and my current list is down to:
Apeks MTX-R - Appears to simply be the best
Apeks XTX50 - Highly recommended by all those that use them, I have experience with it and (slightly) cheaper than the MTX-R. Also, as mentioned before, the small purge was not to my liking.
Deep 6 Signature - I have heard only compliments about the regs and I like the company's philosophy of allowing the diver to take responsibility for servicing and providing the ability to do so.

Also, I use air transmitters on all my single tank rigs, do many people use transmitters on their sidemount gear rather than the SPGs? Seems like one less entanglement possibility.

The sidemount divers in my local area tend to be people that simply buy the most expensive option (for example, they would use a calypso over a legend if sold at a higher price and claim it to be the best) and I acknowledge that expensive is not always the best so I would value the opinion of the wider dive community.

Thank you all.

The MTX-R is not a 5th port swivel turret design, so automatically more limiting than a DST or the Deep6 reg. I also don't see anything that commands the increase in price, having used them at work before. I wouldn't call them the best, and in this case probably the worst choice of the three listed.

Whatever you choose, 5th port with a swivel will give you the most options in terms of how you set up your regs. That means the XTX50 with the DST, not the DS4.

Transmitters will fit on any of the regs you use. Sounds to me like you're an open water sidemount diver, in which case none of the arguments against using transmitters in an overhead environment will really apply to you.

Reactions: cib
Sounds to me like you're an open water sidemount diver

I am. But I do hope to eventually use my SM skills to try cave and overhead environments.

The MTX-R is not a 5th port swivel turret design, so automatically more limiting than a DST or the Deep6 reg.

According to Simply Scuba, it is!
"The first stages use the typical environmentally sealed balanced diaphragm design with a swivelling turret and fifth low pressure port on the end of the turret."
Have I misunderstood?

Deep 6, you can do your own maintenance (after the first FREE maintenance by the company.). Solid performance. I’ve taken mine on several trips to both the Caribbean and Indo- Pacific.

Maintenance parts included so you have them availabile if needed when traveling.

ZERO problems in a few hundred dives.

Disclaimer, the owner of the company is a friend. I’m a tech for several brands and instructor in deep 6 maintenance - you won’t regret buying deep 6.

Thank you TC. They are sounding good and I hope to get the Eddy fins so this is an attractive option.

What are the chances you could help find a 'friendly' discount? :wink:

Thank you TC. They are sounding good and I hope to get the Eddy fins so this is an attractive option.

What are the chances you could help find a 'friendly' discount? :wink:
Many on here have a code that will give them a small commission and you a small discount (around 10-15% IIRC)
PM me if you would like mine, else TC since he did speak up first. Oh and the reason i have a code (and TC as well I imagine) is that after diving them for a while we liked them so much we became sorta "Brand Ambassadors" for them.

Some may view that as a conflict of interest, i see it as recommending stuff i dive and like diving.

I am. But I do hope to eventually use my SM skills to try cave and overhead environments.

According to Simply Scuba, it is!
"The first stages use the typical environmentally sealed balanced diaphragm design with a swivelling turret and fifth low pressure port on the end of the turret."
Have I misunderstood?

Interesting! I know the ones we had were some of the very first ones released and they absolutely were not 5th port swivels. Maybe they simply had not produced kits yet. If they are now, that puts them back in the running, although I still don't think they're worth the premium over either of the others.

FWIW, I voted Deep6. I'm quite happy with mine.

Reactions: cib
Chris (owner of deep 6) is a long time friend, I’m able to instruct the deep 6 speacialty (Reg maintenance) (SDI) because of him.

I’m currently diving a deep 6 regulator, not because Chris is my friend, but because it’s an awesome reg.

It’s reliable and dependable. I can highly recommend it it because I’ve dived it for a couple of years with no problems.

I’m can instruct their repair/maintenance course.

I am qualified to repair several brands of gear. I have NO hesitation in recommending the deep 6 regulators.

XTX50 with DST or Atomic M1. With the Atomic M1, you can dive anywhere in the world, it is sealed and rated for very cold water diving and is designated as the "Technical" diving regulator in the Atomic regulator line. It is best to use a regulator with a rotating turret on the first stage for SM set up.

20190105_211232.jpg
20190105_211435.jpg
great regs. I love them. 5th port turret. I added venturi levers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom