• BP/W

Votes: 27 51.9%
  • Either!

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • Stick with the jacket

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wonder__Frog

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hey guys!

First post here so apologies if this is in the wrong place or has already been posted (I couldn't find it if it has been)!

Bit of background before I jump into the problem I want your help with if possible :). I've been lucky enough to dive all over the world for the past 10 years - all of which has been done using a jacket style BCD (currently an Aqualung Axiom I3 & Aqualung Legend LX Supreme regs (DIN)). I'm PADI AOW, and stopped logging dives at around 500.

In terms of the diving I currently do:

- 50% warm water diving off liveaboards / day boats. Generally using a 3mm full length wetsuit for protection and generally around 1-3kgs of lead
- 30% inland lakes / quarries (Vobster & NDAC being favourites)
- 20% coastal diving around the UK (Malin Head, Swanage, Lundy, Farnes etc). For this and quarries, I use a custom Hammond drysuit (HDS Pro-Elite in case it matters) with an O'Three PBB Plus base layer and usually around 10kg's of lead

Hopefully this is enough background to get started! So, I'm looking to get either a BP/W or sidemount setup in the coming weeks/months, and frankly I have no idea which I should go for! The way I see it, both offer more options in terms of redundancy, customisability, comfort, safety & progression from my current setup.

Reasons I want to change my setup (I think):
- I want to start looking at some deeper dives in the future (I'm certified to 40m right now), and both BP/W & sidemount will let me carry the extra gas / different mixes I need to start exploring this side of life
- Redundancy is something I see as really important. Having either a twinset BP/W rig or sidemount will give me this.
- I'd like to look at some self-reliant / solo diving purely from an added safety perspective
- Both sidemount & BP/W are really cool... Shouldn't be a reason I know but let's be honest, it is...
- Trim / buoyancy benefits. No matter what I do I'm always ever so slightly sinky legged, regardless of weighting or body position. I love the idea of putting all your lift on your back
- Tinkering... I like messing with my kit and know that both these options give me limitless options
- Customisable... I know I can go from twin tank to single tank (with some small changes) on both of these options, obviously with slightly more effort on a BP/W by changing out the wing etc

BUT!

Bearing in mind I'd like to continue doing a lot of my diving in warm water (often off liveaboards) where two cylinders will be redundant (and more costly), and I'd ideally like to have a single style of BCD that I use, what should I go for? I'd ideally like to get rid of the jacket and just have a sidemount rig, or a BP/W rig (with different wing options etc).

What's it like diving sidemount with a single tank?
Does a BP/W give me as much flexibility?
Is it difficult to get into sidemount?
Cost comparisons between the two?

Help is much appreciated!! Thanks in advance, and sorry for the essay!

Since the bulk of your diving appears to be off boats, I'd go with the BP/W, much easier to deal with on ladders, etc. If you ever get to the point where you need sidemount for wreck or cave penetration, you'll know it. A BP/W will accommodate doubles and deco bottles easily if you end up needing them for deeper or longer dives.

Backmount

Easier on boats, easier all together to nail down all your skills with more advanced diving.

Slinging a stage with either a single or doubles is simple compared to getting dialed in with a side mount system.

This is coming from someone who primarily dives a side mount CCR. The skills I learned diving doubles with stages and deco bottles has helped me immensely with where I am at the moment with diving the CCR. If it was the other way, I dunno.

_R

Absolutely :)! I'm really really open to suggestions. I've been around diving too long to think I could possibly know more than the community haha...

How easy is slinging a single on a BP/W??

It isn't all that hard. I state that as I'm a sidemount guy, but I've made choices. But back to your question, there are a number of ways to sling. I would suggest however to "sidemount" the AL80/AL11 to your BP so that it is streamlined. Lower part is clipped to your waist belt, upper part is bungeed to your BP. Feel free to reach out to me on FB, and I can get you hooked up with people who can explain this better (like Demis Farrugia who teaches out of Malta).

I think you have to be better at it to handle sidemount than you do backmount; and in rough conditions, or lots of gas, backmount has the edge. I now dive (tiny LP50/AL40) sidemount from shore, played with tiny doubles, and dove BP/W single and with a small slung pony.

A BP/W likely covers a wider range of 'environments'. From single thats strapped on back, to + pony/stage, to tiny/medium/big doubles. Even single sidemount does not fit the 'tank that goes on the bench, that we put on the back, and jump in' model.

I'd read through the 'sidemount is terrible' and 'I don't dive sidemount for small spaces' threads to get a sense and the 'how do you plan to travel with those doubles' questions.

BP/W is a compact unit. As single + stage/pony, which is now not compact..., it fits in the dive boat 'one tank slot' per diver model. Though an 80 + 80 may be more than you want for every shallow reef dive. BP/W also allows doubles, with a different wing, which is more compact than the single + stage; yet finding doubles on travel may be hard. Unless you bring a strap kit to turn two 80s into independent doubles. Though boats may be more fond of single + pony than doubles. You can also do tiny doubles (AL40s), which are no more weight than an AL80, or mid size (72s). So versatile.

Sidemount takes more work getting in the water, and has stuff swinging about a little bit. Different versatility in that if you have any two tanks you can dive redundant. Though the same is true of back + stage. You might need to shift some lead for trim, but you can do it. Getting back on the boat in rough seas may not be as fun, with full size tanks, but nor would it be fun with a big slung stage. To me, the benefit of sidemount is it is sweet in the water.

If your local diving fits it, I'd play with tiny doubles (AL40 or AL50 aka 7L). Though that will be a different wing than you would use for singles. (What wing for double 7L/LP50s? Or also 12L S72 LP85(?)). A benefit of sidemount is using the same wing for singles and doubles.

Sidemount puts the tanks beside you, making stability easier. Backmount puts all that weight above you, which for me is annoying.

I learned sidemount on my own and it was not hard. But, I read the entire sidemount forum first, read/watched things it referenced, contemplated for about two years, do it with tiny tanks, already had decent buoyancy/trim/propulsion in BP/W singles, and started shallow in lake like conditions. Some coaching/class would speed things up.

Hijacking this thread, because I had similar questions and ended up going with a Mares backplate/wing.

Then I found they also sell sidemount bladders like this.
Can you use those with a normal backplate or does it require a special set up?

Thanks

I'll contridict some of the posts here

I both BM with a Bp/w and sling an AL80 or depending on logistics use my SM.

I have zero issues using SM on boats, because it's configured specifically for boats. I use ring bungees and don't faff. I either giant stride or back roll entry, often with a Scooter attached for good measure and added splash. I can enter and exit the water with both tanks clipped on and ready to go, or very easily unclip in the water and hand them up (say on a Rib)

Some SM peeps do faff it has to be said, because they haven't optimised their gear for the type of diving

I travel with and use my SM of liveaboards, and have had no issues although occasionally I'll get charged for a second tank, but it's easier than asking for a second AL 80 (or smaller) for use with BM - less questions

By choice, I'll not drop in with partially used tanks so if the boat is small, I might use BM and a slung redundant, rather than take 4 tanks for SM (I know it's only 1 tank difference but..)

I can dive equally easily with both setups (or even my BCD) it's just gear that enables me to go underwater, and what ever the easiest rig for that type of diving happens to be, then I'l throw it on

Hijacking this thread, because I had similar questions and ended up going with a Mares backplate/wing.

Then I found they also sell sidemount bladders like this.
Can you use those with a normal backplate or does it require a special set up?
You can see the harness they're using in the video at the bottom, similar to the Stealth. You wouldn't use it with a backplate.

Back
Top Bottom