Sidemount on BAIV?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo Air

Registered
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Got my sidemount set up and was really looking forward to using it on an upcoming trip on the Belize Aggressor IV. Totally willing to pony up for the extra tank but then I'm told they don't allow people to dive doubles. Does anyone know why this is? I did a Blue Planet trip in the Red Sea and probably half (or more) of the boat was diving sidemount doubles. I was surprised (and disappointed) to learn this. Thanks in advance.

I have experienced some operators that said I can not dive SM doubles. They don't want a scenario where some divers stay down much longer than others.
I wouldn't worry about it. You can comfortably dive a single AL80 strapped to your left side. Remember to attach both of your regs on the left 1st stage.

I have experienced some operators that said I can not dive SM doubles. They don't want a scenario where some divers stay down much longer than others.
I wouldn't worry about it. You can comfortably dive a single AL80 strapped to your left side. Remember to attach both of your regs on the left 1st stage.
Rather than give up the safety of redundant air supplies, I recommend you explain to the operator that you have 2 tanks for the safety of redundancy they provide, not to double your bottom time on a single dive. When an operator expresses this concern, I explain to them that I intend to dive with both my tanks for redundancy and balance and I will return from the first dive with 2 tanks over half full (and then use these same 2 tanks for another dive later). This explanation works great for "2 tank" boat trips, as you will only be using 2 tanks for 2 dives, just like everyone else (you'll just have both with you underwater on both dives while the other divers leave one useless on the boat). For a liveaboard, I actually recommend you take 2 full tanks on the first dive of the day, breathe half of each, then swap out one for a full tank for one of them for the second through N-1 dives and breathe it down like you would if you only had 1 tank (while keeping the other at half full, like a 40 cf pony that you don't use - for safety), on the last dive (N) you pick up the other half full tank from dive 1 and breathe the rest of it and the other half full one you still have that was your safety/pony bottle all day (like the 2nd dive of a "2 tank" boat trip). This provides you better safety than single tank diving, but the operator can be assured you won't be doing much longer dives than the other divers.

Rather than give up the safety of redundant air supplies, I recommend you explain to the operator that you have 2 tanks for the safety of redundancy they provide, not to double your bottom time on a single dive. When an operator expresses this concern, I explain to them that I intend to dive with both my tanks for redundancy and balance and I will return from the first dive with 2 tanks over half full (and then use these same 2 tanks for another dive later). This explanation works great for "2 tank" boat trips, as you will only be using 2 tanks for 2 dives, just like everyone else (you'll just have both with you underwater on both dives while the other divers leave one useless on the boat). For a liveaboard, I actually recommend you take 2 full tanks on the first dive of the day, breathe half of each, then swap out one for a full tank for one of them for the second through N-1 dives and breathe it down like you would if you only had 1 tank (while keeping the other at half full, like a 40 cf pony that you don't use - for safety), on the last dive (N) you pick up the other half full tank from dive 1 and breathe the rest of it and the other half full one you still have that was your safety/pony bottle all day (like the 2nd dive of a "2 tank" boat trip). This provides you better safety than single tank diving, but the operator can be assured you won't be doing much longer dives than the other divers.
Except some operators won’t let you do that…

Are they ok with an AL19 pony on one side that they top up only occasionally? Decent size redundancy, clearly not a full tank, also not a likely encumbrance top side. You likely need to bring the pony though.

We choose our battles differently. For me it's no big deal. I ask if they mind me using 2 and If they say no I dive with one.

Sorry, did not see that there were 2 threads on this topic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom