Sidemount Class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k-valve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
There is a good possibility that we might be able to get Jeff Loflin over to Austin to do a sidemount class sometime this spring. Jeff is an awesome instructor. I took DSAT Trimix from him a couple of weeks ago at 40 Fathom Grotto near Ocala, FL. The guy regularly dives sidemount himself and is a highly skilled cave and deep wreck diver. This guy knows more about diving than just about anyone I've ever met. Check out his website at Jeff Loflin Technical Scuba.

Before we pursue it too much I'm just wondering if we have any interest in the sidemount class. I know most folks think sidemount is for cave divers, but that's not true. Sidemount is really starting to take off as a diving configuration around the country for technical and recreational divers alike. The setup is relatively inexpensive...not much more than a standard recreational setup...and the benefits are many: more gas, trims you out perfectly, no heavy doubles, carry tanks down separately to the entry if you'd like, redundant gas, easy on the back, knees, etc, super comfortable, great travel setup, no expensive manifold, bands or backplate...and that's just off the top of my head.

We're looking for 8 participants. You only need to be OW certified to take the class. Cost of the class is going to run around $350 if we can pull it off. Sidemount harnesses will be provided to participants. If you are interested you can email me at kvalve@gmail.com or just reply to this thread. If you get the Undersea Journal the specialty...which was written by Jeff BTW...is one of the featured articles.

Questions welcome!

I'd be game, but just depending on when...

On a side note, I have two reg sets for the doubles setup, so do I need to purchase a new SPG and redundant octos so both tanks can be outfitted?

I have two reg sets for the doubles setup, so do I need to purchase a new SPG and redundant octos so both tanks can be outfitted?

Nope, you just need two regs...one for each tank. Since you have two complete and separate systems (2 tanks, 2 valves, 2 first stages, 2 second stages) you are redundant. It's a pretty cool setup.

+ 2 SPGs (one for each tank)

Correct...thanks for mentioning that.

BTW, for anyone interested, you won't have to purchase anything for the class. If you don't have two independent systems (1st & 2nd stage and SPG). Equipment can be rented easily enough from the sponsoring shop.

any idea how long the class will be? i've been diving sidemount, but should probably get some instruction at some point.

I am interested, I have my nomad and all, been diving it for a little bitty, still working on dialing it in just where I want it.

I've been switching my regs and everything around between backmount and side mount and its getting to be more than just a little bit of a pain, so right now I"m working on setting up a dedicated sidemount setup so I dont' have to keep swtiching back and forth.

Is this just a class for the sake of learning or is this a carding class?

Do you know what level this class will be, aka basics or more advanced skills specific to cave diving side mount etc.

I can't commit at this time but if a solid date gets locked down and the time gets closer I can let you know if I can participate.

Dates are looking like the first weekend in March.

FixxerV16, I hope to take the class myself and have been doing some sidemount diving already. Jeff Loflin is an avid sidemount and cave diver. I have no doubt that he, and Paul Murphy (who is organizing the class), can meet your SM diving needs. I'll PM you later...1st chance I get.

I love the idea of carrying an extra tank which is why I love my pony bottle. The thought of carrying an extra 80 cf tank is even more exciting.

But if I never plan to do any serious tech diving, would there be much that I would get out of this class? (Although this may sound like a rhetorical question, it's not meant as such.)

I love the idea of carrying an extra tank which is why I love my pony bottle. The thought of carrying an extra 80 cf tank is even more exciting.

But if I never plan to do any serious tech diving, would there be much that I would get out of this class? (Although this may sound like a rhetorical question, it's not meant as such.)

do you plan on doing serious technical diving in side mount?

I would recommend working up through technical diving with traditional back mount, then either employing side mount when needed or then switching to side mount afterwards. While side mount has a lot of nice advantages there is no such thing as a free lunch, if someone is new at dealing with hoses management (neatly dealing with hoses all over the place) its easier to learn back mount first and get used to having to deal with 3, 4, 5+ regs and hoses that go with them.

That is just my opinion.

You will find more instructors for technical that will teach you in back mount, vs trying to find a teacher that will bring you up through the classes in side mount.

What I've noticed in difference, for ME its MUCH easier for me to get in and out of the water in back mounted 108's than it is with side mounted 108's, I know thats oposite of what a lot of peopel say but for me its much easer to just hump em all in a nice tight package on my back than dealing with multiple trips to the water and bungies etc. I'm not He-man but I'm not a little dude either so I only really complain a lot when I look up the stairs at the dam or something like that. Others experiences will vary.

The difference in drag through the water between back mounted 108's and side mounted 108's is what really got me sold on side mount, the difference is amazing.

Being OW with no deco training (an assumption on my part) you have to keep in mind that with side mount its basicly doubles, even with 80's you will now have enough gas to easily get into trouble if your not prepared for it, but on the other hand, if you get into trouble you now have double the gas wtih redundancy.

Back
Top Bottom