Sidemount and Tech Shorts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaWithTurk

Bubble Blowing Buddha
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I normally dive backmount with tech shorts, even when I am teaching. My left pocket holds my backup mask and torch and my right pocket holds my SMB and spool as well as my wetnotes.

I am still using them in sidemount but with the arrival (any day now) of my XDeep Stealth Tec, I was curious if any of you still use tech shorts in the sidemount config or stick to the pouch and clipping things off the rear d-ring?

I am sure some will say the shorts don't work for SM but I have yet to have an issue. I did order the expandable pouch and am looking forward to trying it out however I think I would feel naked without my tech shorts LOL

the irikonji shorts have pockets that face towards the front, so you can still reach into them unless if you have stages

always side pockets

The point of sidemount is to have your front and rear clear

this is why they sank our wreck Ex HMAS Tobruk on it's side

for sidemount divers

I don’t switch drysuits just to dive sidemount, so I always have pockets. I also have an expandable butt pouch. This gets the most used items, the leg pockets get stuff I will very rarely have to use, but would be nice to have.

I am still diving wet but I agree that tech shorts are great. One of the reasons I am asking others is because I have had a few converations with people about this. They are trying to tell me that the pockets are bad for SM and don’t keep the cylinders where they should be. I don’t buy this and feel it is using an equipment solution (or lack there of) to make up for a skills issue.

I'm sort of with @JohnnyC. My drysuit does not have pockets since it was bought specifically for sidemount and I can't stand pockets when diving sidemount. Everything goes in a butt pouch or more preferably, clipped to the d-rings. I have a Dive Rite pocket on my O2 bottle for things like my MP3 player and other stuff that is deco-specific. With my new Deep6 wetsuits that have pockets, I may look at using them for infrequently used items, but things like DSMB, spools, etc. always get clipped to the back.

@ScubaWithTurk When bottles are put in the position below, i.e. actually sidemounted, they absolutely interfere with the bottles and cause them to a-frame. They also are incredibly difficult to access because of the bottle position, and if they go any farther to the front, then the pockets dig in the silt and catch on things when you're sidemounting

13521843_10157082437055134_1904598610029687808_n.jpg

Butt pocket and door handles for me only.
I tried pockets once and I didn't like it. The bottles definitely A framed and I felt them tugging.
with the butt pocket, you should be able to carry comfortably a spare mask, wetnote, spare cutter, spare small spool, and cookies.
I carry my DSMB and spools on the door handle again in the back.

I still use my thigh pockets, but for small stuff (doubles enders, some small spools sometimes). I have two butt pouches, one for spools and arrows and stuff like that. The other is for my survey notebook and compass.

I'm sort of with @JohnnyC. I have a Dive Rite pocket on my O2 bottle for things like my MP3 player and other stuff that is deco-specific. With my new Deep6 wetsuits that have pockets, I may look at using them for infrequently used items, but things like DSMB, spools, etc. always get clipped to the back.

View attachment 510576

What MP3 player do you use?

What MP3 player do you use?

Tayogo bone conducting headphones. Sound quality sucks underwater anyway because of the increased pressure, but these will go thru my hood which is nice. Since they have a relatively stable head bar on the back, I just put it up under my chin so don't have to pull my hoods back or deal with any water that's in my ear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom