Side mount gave me tennis elbow...what now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bigeclipse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
All,
I got into side mount last summer and I absolutely LOVE it. I feel so much better under water in side mount than traditional back mount or doubles. That being said, I got some major tennis elbow last year from carrying my tanks in and out of the water. I use steel 100s (I dive freshwater cold lakes in a drysuit). The steel tanks hanging from my right arm ended up giving me pretty severe tennis elbow. My left arm got very minor tennis elbow. My left arm was feeling better within a month after diving season but my right arm took 6 months and physical therapy to get rid of 95% of the pain. Here we are 10 months later and I still get small amounts of pain here and there (It still faintly hurts if I move a heavy object with my arm without paying attention). This has me concerned for this diving season. I know I could go to lighter tanks, but then that limits the lengths of my dives. I could carry one tank at a time with both hands, to the water...but some of our locations have long walks and carts are not an option. I could go back to back mount, but after diving side mount and loving it, I really dont want to. I am open to any and all comments.

I thought tennis elbow was a repetitive motion injury?

You can learn to carry your tanks differently. Rest up them on your shoulder. Or put them in a backpack.

I found for long walks to the water, it's actually easier for me to do it with the tanks clipped in with the chokers (HP120s Hollis SMS100). Tanks are lower than they would be with back mount doubles, so (I assume, never dove backmount doubles) they are easier to carry and maneuver. Of course this may not work with your rig or if the walk is particularly precarious.

I thought tennis elbow was a repetitive motion injury?

You can learn to carry your tanks differently. Rest up them on your shoulder. Or put them in a backpack.
It normally is a repetitive injury. I dove side mount for a few weeks a few times a week and that was the ONLY change to my normal routine. I dont play any other sports and it was after about 2 weeks I noticed the pain while carrying a tank in each hand (by the neck of the tank). The doctor said all the weight pulling down on my arm is what did the damage. Holding heavy things with your arms fully extended down is about the worst thing you can do I guess.

@Bigeclipse put one bottle at a time on your shoulder. Why are carts not an option for the long walks? Can adapt a 2-wheel dolly pretty easily to carry them, then lock it to something solid
A few of the longer walks, a dolly or cart would work but some of the walks have pretty tough terrain for carts/dollys.

haha I wish. We do almost all shore diving where I am.

I've heard about people like you. I do two shore dives a year, just to remind myself of how much I hate shore diving.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. If you want to come to Tobermory, I'll give you a ride. ;-)

@Bigeclipse Look up similar issues that weight lifters get while doing farmer carries. Sounds like the exact same problem you're seeing where the tendon is stressed. There's a few techniques lifters use to avoid injury - not all will be applicable to carrying tanks but worth a look.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom