Si Tech shoulder valve - how much torque to unscrew?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

broadreach

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been suffering a minor leak from my shoulder valve for sometime now and I really want to try and clean it up as I suspect it must be some sand stuck in there. I looked up the instructions manual on the Si Tech website and they show how to unscrew the two parts. Mine is the Argo, by the way.
The problem is that I don't have the valve tool or the combi tool and I can't seem to open the threads holding it together.
Has anyone dealt with a stubborn valve before? I'm afraid to put too much torque on it, so I don't break the plastic. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to get it loose without damaging it?

Thanks!

should be able to get it with a strap wrench on the top and a jar opener on the bottom if you can't open it by hand. Remember that you have a compression fitting against rubber, there's a LOT of friction in there. DRiS has the valve tool btw. More useful for the top than the bottom, but if you don't have bear paws for hands, you might need the pair of them.

I tried with a strap wrench on the bottom (inside of suit), but I was afraid to use too much force.
I'll look for a jar opener to hold the bottom.
Thanks!

I'd soak the valve in real soapy slippery water and get it down into the threads etc.

Yeah think impact wrench when you do this, the initial jolt will require a bit of force then it'll go easily. Make sure to lube the threads when you get it back in.

With the help of a brawny neighbor I managed to unscrew the two parts of the valve. I then popped it open and looked for debris inside. I didn't see anything obvious, so I just wiped it clean, flipped the outer silicone washer as well as the inner one, lubed them up with some silicone grease and put it back together. I tried a home leak test and didn't detect any leaks.
I did notice however, that if I gently bump the top of the valve from the outside it releases air, even when it is screwed shut. Is this normal?
The silicone gaskets are old, and probably represent the only potential point of failure on this valve. Does anyone have a source for purchasing replacements?

Thanks!

where does the valve leak from? the valve is supposed to open when you press it.... If you want a replacement, any shop that works with drysuits can send you a replacement. Dive Right in Scuba usually has a couple of options.

Ok. I wasn't sure if it was supposed to open when fully rotated closed and pressed. So it sounds like it it's working properly.
I don't think it is currently leaking. But I'll have to take it diving to be certain. The leak I did have involved a trickle of water that entered the suit when the valve released air. Possibly only when pressed, as I would turn it open. But I'm not 100% sure. It was very small, but got my arm fully wet by the end of each dive.
When I asked about replacements, I meant just the silicone gaskets (in the correct sizes), not the whole valve.

Thanks!

the dump valves have two operating principles.

"auto dump" which is controlled by how open or closed the dump valve is. If it is fully closed, you are basically having to manually use the dump to deflate the suit. Typically only used when at the surface or if the diver has to maintain a vertical position for extended periods of time.

"manual dump" which when pressed, the valve dumps full open. Important so the suit can be deflated in the positions above, and also as an override. I.e. you have the dump valve turned say half way in because you want to maintain some positive pressure inside of the suit, but need to dump quickly for an ascent.

I never realIzed.... In the two years or so I've had this valve I've only used it in 'auto' mode, changing the rate of discharge by turning it one way or the other, but never just pressing on it. Now I know.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom