Shrimps and crabs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wahlaoeh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi,
Pls help to ID these critters. Thanks
shrimp_29.sized.jpg

crab_1.sized.jpg

crab.sized.jpg

Jovin's Cool Photos!! :: Bali 18th Aug to 3rd Sept 2007 :: shrimp_29
Jovin's Cool Photos!! :: Bali 18th Aug to 3rd Sept 2007 :: crab_1
Jovin's Cool Photos!! :: Bali 18th Aug to 3rd Sept 2007 :: crab
Jovin

#1 - I'm guessing periclimenes psamathe - seafan shrimp
#2 - Porcellana - Blue Porcelain Crab
#3 - Some type of decorator crab...not sure where to track him down beyond that...

The commensal shrimp can be identified with Manipontonia psamathe on account of general coloration and second cheliped being distinctly unequal in length.

Your wonderful books on Japanese crustaceans are the very best resource for divers and people who are not taxonomists. I keep your books & some of your papers by my computer at home because I use them so often. :)

Leslie,

Many thanks.

For advance of taxonomic studied on decapods, scientific names of some species have been changed since the first editions of the guides have been published. Periclimenes psamathe differs from other Periclimenes species by several morphological particulars, thus, it is now placed Manipontonia, which is a newly established genus in 2005.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom