Show me your tank rack!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jpsexton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I need to build a tank rack for the pickup and I'd like to see what some of you have done. I normally haul four tanks and sometimes as many as eight. Until now I've done the lazy thing and just wedged them in there with other gear and weights.

I'm thinking something out of wood that fits in the slots between the wheel wells......

Below is a rack that I made a while back that holds 6 tanks and it works great.... I have used it both in a boat and in my truck. I got the idea from someone on this forum about a year or so ago.

If you go here I explain how I built it, and on the 6th page there is a pic of it full of tanks (actually two).

If you have any questions please feel free to ask away...

Phil

Attachments

• tank rack.JPG
    tank rack.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 522
This is a tank rack I built from Sch. 80 PVC. I have made them for up to six tanks. It can be mounted virticle or lay in the back of the truck. I have extra parts if you are interested.

Attachments

• Tank1.jpg
    Tank1.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 1,649
I don't have pictures....and I'd go take some, but I have class, and someone rearended me the other day and my tailgate doesn't come down anymore....so I couldn't really put tanks in to show you how they fit.

I basically bolted a 2x4 along each side of my bed. Put some eyebolts in. Strap tanks in. :) Works well. I actually made an L shape with 2 2x4s and cut out spots for the tanks to go in, but the straps hold the tanks reallyw ell, you don't need the bottom of the L at all. A buddy just has a 2x6 on each side with eyebolts and his rack works great.

Observations: if you have an open bed, lock your tanks down. If you have singles, get your dive shop to put SS rings around the valve, you'll have to drain the tanks but it'll let you lock them. Run steel wire through the rings and through an extra eye bolt and lock them down! Then you can run inside to grab a bite to eat after a dive without worrying so much.

Also, if you get rear ended like I did, tanks in the back corners are liable to get hit. Might be wise to strap them in the front near the cab. Fortunately, I didn't have any tanks in the truck. If I did, I think they would have survived, but I wouldn't want to test it. Now I am goin gto start being MUCH more careful about how I load things, never been in an accident before and it made me think about how much stuff would or could go flying.

Like JahJah said, I put 2x6's along the side with eye bolts in them. I mounted them using toggle bolts through the bed wall. This works very well for singles or doubles and it is simple to make.

2259099392_9f21115ed7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom