Shout out to dive buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DXHI

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This thread is a shout out to dive buddies…. Immediate impression when giving dove buddy credit is “oh-no what happened “ But sometimes it’s simple with a friend in need…

Been working too much lately with too little time between shifts and result a little scatterbrained .

I thought I had everything packed for my trip this weekend … well got on the boat and had everything with me but my wetsuit … ohh crap..

Water temp today was 73… but vis 50 + foot… I was getting ready to suck it up and jump in.. but between every one on board we formed a “save a dive kit”… one guy luckily one guy had his 5 mil and also happened to have a fleece rash guard / suit( 1.5 mL) and Another had an extra hooded vest…

Wound up actually being a perfect set up.

So shout out to dive buddies

This thread is a shout out to dive buddies…. Immediate impression when giving dove buddy credit is “oh-no what happened “ But sometimes it’s simple with a friend in need…

Been working too much lately with too little time between shifts and result a little scatterbrained .

I thought I had everything packed for my trip this weekend … well got on the boat and had everything with me but my wetsuit … ohh crap..

Water temp today was 73… but vis 50 + foot… I was getting ready to suck it up and jump in.. but between every one on board we formed a “save a dive kit”… one guy luckily one guy had his 5 mil and also happened to have a fleece rash guard / suit( 1.5 mL) and Another had an extra hooded vest…

Wound up actually being a perfect set up.

So shout out to dive buddies

Type up a checklist and check everything off while you’re packing, it’ll help mitigate forgetting things.

I just saw "shout out to dive buddies" so that's what I'm doing.

My favorite dive buddy is my BiL. Absolutely, he's completely reliable. But what I like best is that he doesn't bring a camera, and he's not banging his tank at every blue fish he sees. He waits for really cool stuff then quietly calls me over to explore what he's looking at. It's minutes before people realize we are checking something out and by the time the big group is swimming over to see what we're looking at, we're moving on.

A trick I learn recently is to signal only your dive buddy with a dive light. Works wonders without drawing a crowd.

Except for a couple of liveaboards, almost all of my dive buddies have been roll-of-the -dice "instabuddies", in the "Redneck Rivera" of Gulf Shores and Pensacola, or drift-diving off Florida east coast around Palm Beach and Jupiter.

It's been fashionable through the years for many to complain about instabuddies, they're air hogs, they are clueless, they don't reply to hand signals, they're dangerous, yada yada. But almost all of "my" instas have been fine, and the couple of them who weren't, were a "learning experience".

If I get to the boat early and let the DM or captain know I need to be matched up, I've had good results. It helps to ask questions early on, what's your experience, where, how many dives, and of course the usual BWRAF questions about gear. And chat about what else they like to do--the motorcycle racer or mountain-climbing instructor, may have a different risk-taking attitude than the knitter or the librarian..

And I try to remember that in matching up with an insta, *I'm* the insta also. Early on, it was instas who graciously and unselfishly helped me along. When I can, I try to return the favor when it's me with more experience than insta..

And with all those good instas, who do I silently thank?? Their instructors, they're the unsung heroes.

PS--sorry for the double-post below, can't seem to delete it.

Except for a couple of liveaboards, almost all of my dive buddies have been roll-of-the -dice "instabuddies", in the "Redneck Rivera" of Gulf Shores and Pensacola, or drift-diving off Florida east coast around Palm Beach and Jupiter.

It's been fashionable through the years for many to complain about instabuddies, they're air hogs, they are clueless, they don't reply to hand signals, they're dangerous, yada yada. But almost all of "my" instas have been fine, and the couple of them who weren't, were at least a "learning experience" to file away for the future.

If I get to the boat early and let the DM or captain know I need to be matched up, I've had good results. It helps to ask questions early on, what's your experience, where, how many dives, and of course the usual BWRAF questions about gear. And chat about what else they like to do--the motorcycle racer or mountain-climbing instructor, may have a different risk-taking attitude than the knitter or the librarian..

And I try to remember that in matching up with an insta, *I'm* the insta also. Early on, it was instas who graciously and unselfishly helped me along. When I can, I try to pay that favor forward when it's me with more experience than insta..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom