shoulder pain bends?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ludobarbot

Registered
Reaction score
Grand Baie, Riviere Du Rempart, Mauritius, Mauriti
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone,

Saturday i went for a dive part of my padi open water course.
We were doing the last exploration dive.

The dive lasted 36 minutes and the max depth was 15.1 meters. The water temp was 23 degrees Celsius and there was a mild current but i didn't feel affected by it at all.

the dive was over at like 2 PM saturday and on sunday at around 5 PM i had this pain in my right shoulder which is like a dull pain that happens when i move my arm back.
when i feel my shoulder there is an area were i touch my muscle that hurts kinda like i injured myself or pulled a muscle.

Could this be a sign of the bends? Im waiting for my doctor to open so i can call him and see what he thinks. but what do you guys think?

I think the time between the dive and when it started was a little too long, usually it should be directly after or some hours (like in the evening or so), but more than 1 day I am not so sure, someone else?

Check with your doc, he knows better than someone at a internet forum... Or call DAN if you are a member?

Mostly likely NOT any form of DCI.

However, you should always consult the Diver's Alert Network ("DAN") for such questions, regardless of whether you're a member or not.

Diving Emergencies (Remember: Call local EMS first, then DAN!)
1-919-684-9111
International Emergency Hotlines
Non-Emergency Medical Questions
1-800-446-2671 or 1-919-684-2948, Mon-Fri, 8:30am-5:00pm (ET)

With that length of time in the water, at that minimal depth, the likelihood of nitrogen-related illness is extremely low. The long time period before onset of symptoms also reduces the likelihood of DCS. However, scuba DOES involve wearing and carrying heavy equipment that hangs off the shoulders. It is much more likely that this is why you are sore.

Don't feel bad for worrying about it, though -- I can remember, after some of my first dives, really getting nervous at how much my shoulders ached!

Back
Top Bottom