Shoulder Impingement - Should I Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TravelDave

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm falling apart. I have a sprained thumb (I think) on my right hand and a shoulder impingement on my left side. I have been going to an orthopedic doc regarding this, but so far the treatments haven't helped.

If you are wondeering, soulder impingement is a rotator cuff issue described on one site as:

"One of the most common shoulder problems is called shoulder impingement syndrome. This occurs when the roof of the shoulder rubs on the rotator cuff muscles, which are important for shoulder movement. Frequently overhead activities and reaching behind, such as putting an arm in a coat, are quite painful. Another common symptom is difficulty sleeping because of pain from pressure on the shoulder. Symptoms usually occur in people in their 40s and usually come on fairly gradually over several months, but they also can occur suddenly."

I have a dive trip scheduled for Belize at the end of the month. Could these issues affect my diving (especially from a DCS standpoint)?

Dave

TravelDave - I can not answer the DCS question. I recommend you pass this by DAN. They have been very helpful with any question I passed by them. You may have to ask your doctor if the effected area has adequate perfusion (blood flow) to determine if you have an increased chance of DCS. Less blood flow, slower at off gassing. Doubt you have a problem.

I have a separated shoulder, level 4. That means my clavical (collar bone) has no legiment connections at the shoulder. The bone moves fairly freely. I still dive. I recommend you see a physical therapist that can recommend exercises to strengthen the muscles in your shoulder, particulary the rotator cuff. My shoulder hurts, I am supposed to avoid using my arm over my head, but do it anyway. I have full range of motion. You have to determine if you can get back into the boat or handle other dive related activities with your shoulder the shape it is in.

My best guess is that provided your doctor does not have an issue with you diving, you will have a great time. I don't think you have an increased chance at DCS. I hope you have a great time in Belize. Tom

Hello Dave:

I would doubt that this shoulder problem would result in an increased risk of DCS. However, prior joint problems are often a big problem when it comes to sorting out a DCS problem. Individuals cannot distinguish old pains from new ones and will mistake a sore shoulder for “the bends.” The reverse is also possible – but less common.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Readers, please note the next class in Decompression Physiology is September 10 – 11, 2005 :1book:
http://wrigley.usc.edu/hyperbaric/advdeco.htm

I have continued diving with an impingement problem (which is totally resolved now.)

Onset I believe was an injury due to mis-handling some steel doubles. I didn't stop diving or any other activity but compensated instead. That compensation led to the shoulder capsul *freezing*. It got progressively worse to the point I could not reach my valves and could only lift my arm a few degrees laterally.

Even though this kind of problem can resolve spontaneously over time mine was helped along in that regard by massage therapy and alternating hot/cold packs. The orthopedic Doc had nothing to offer.

I have had a rotator cuff injury (non-surgical) and continued to dive. It hurt, but a lot less than sitting at home doing chores. I was careful to favor it when lifting and paid attention to the way it felt before I went in the water so that I would be able to benchmark. Coming up the ladder was a problem sometimes, but I tried to take it slow and deliberate.

If it were me, I would dive and when my body said it had enough diving, margarita time. Have a great vacation.

Jerry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom