Should we open the Atlantic Ocean to offshore drilling?

Should we open the Atlantic Ocean to offshore drilling?

• Yes

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sea Save Foundation

Contributor
Reaction score
The debate about opening up the Atlantic Ocean to offshore gas and oil drilling has been going on for decades. Trump recently signed an executive order last week that “tells the secretary of the interior to consider including the Mid- and South Atlantic areas among those in the agency’s 2017-2022 plan to sell oil and gas leases on the outer continental shelf.” Democrats have reintroduced a bill called “the Clean Ocean and Safe Tourism Anti-Drilling (COAST) Act.” The Democrats will fight for what Obama did before leaving office including banning drilling from the Canadian border to Virginia. Click on number 3 to read more.
oil-drilling-map-336x425.jpg

The debate about opening up the Atlantic Ocean to offshore gas and oil drilling has been going on for decades. President Trump recently signed an executive order last week that “tells the secretary of the interior to consider including the Mid- and South Atlantic areas among those in the agency’s 2017-2022 plan to sell oil and gas leases on the outer continental shelf.” Democrats have reintroduced a bill called “the Clean Ocean and Safe Tourism Anti-Drilling (COAST) Act.” The Democrats will fight for what President Obama did before leaving office including banning drilling from the Canadian border to Virginia. Click on number 3 to read more.
View attachment 410136
Fixed that for you...

Why stop with Western GOM? Drilling and production adds valuable habitat and a unique dive opportunity. Of course, that pesky oil spill is also a consideration.....

It's well and good until the next Deepwater Horizon scale spill, and it's not a matter of if.
Thankfully, and in my somewhat learned opinion, the boom in electric cars, solar and wind, etc., will make drilling in the Atlantic as valuable as coal mining.

Why stop with Western GOM? Drilling and production adds valuable habitat and a unique dive opportunity. Of course, that pesky oil spill is also a consideration.....

As the human population grows and more pressure is put on fish stocks the only solutions are less harvesting or more habitat. Despite the Deep Water Horizon spill, the upper Gulf is the blueprint for artificial reefs which continue to grow biomass exponentially and continue to provide a sustainable fishery. Can't do it without the rigs.

Perhaps our hope should be they build a ton of rigs and then tech passes oil by. Of course we hypocrites sure do love the oil our planes and boats consume so we can travel half way around the world and look at fish. :acclaim:

As the human population grows and more pressure is put on fish stocks the only solutions are less harvesting or more habitat. Despite the Deep Water Horizon spill, the upper Gulf is the blueprint for artificial reefs which continue to grow biomass exponentially and continue to provide a sustainable fishery. Can't do it without the rigs.

Perhaps our hope should be they build a ton of rigs and then tech passes oil by. Of course we hypocrites sure do love the oil our planes and boats consume so we can travel half way around the world and look at fish. :acclaim:
I am not hypocritical about it at all. I am a proponent of drill, baby drill and understand that our current method of powering the grid is fossil fuels, moving airplanes and boats is fossil fuels, and as long as we want to turn on the lights in any major city, a distributive electrical grid is required.

I was in Hawaii last week. There is so much solar (yay!) that if the inverters get together they can create enough reactive load to change the power factor of the grid. Of course, Oahu is a small island (small grid) with a ton of solar (huge capacitive reactive load).

I am not hypocritical about it at all.

My comment wasn't in disagreement, nor directed at you. I agree, Frank. My point was more general in that we/many hold ourselves out as environmentalist, but our sport/hobby participants probably use more fossil fuels than many others. Like I said, we want that oil* so we can fly half way around the world on a fossil fuel plane, rent fossil fuel vehicles to get to a port and then charter a fossil fuel boat or liveaboard just to dive a reef with all of our gear made from fossil fuels to take a picture of a fish. :)

*And we demand it as cheap as possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom