Should I upgrade or ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sapphire

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK, I got to this point, not by choice, but by an unfortunate sequence of events. Here I am, recovering from surgery and can't dive for 8 weeks :17: , when some idiot decides he needs to burglarize my house. Gone is jewelry, my daughter's laptop, a video camera with tapes of irreplaceable family memories included in the case, and my Oly C5050Z.

I have TWO Oly housings (one a gift from a friend who already upgraded to a Nikon D70, and two Inon D180 strobes, plus a nice ULCS tray and arms. Although he looked through the stuff, I guess the burglar could not decide what to do with those things.

My question:

I would really love to upgrade to a DSLR. But I would really love to ALSO still use my strobes and not have to replace those. Is there any camera/housing combination that would allow me to use my strobes :06: ??

I am relying on all you experts out there for advice :07:, thank you!

sapphire

Dang, sorry roomie to hear of this unfortunate event. Can't answer your question, but glad to hear you are ok.
Get well soon!

Wow, that is harsh! Hope you are feeling better now.

I reckon you should upgrade to DSLR - you deserve to do something nice for yourself after these unfortunate events :wink: :wink: .

As far as re-using the D-180s are concerned, depending on what system you upgrade to, you can with this device: Inon Optical Converter D. It's not cheap and I haven't heard of too many people using it. Instead, I would just find a loving new home for those D-180s and upgrade to a pair of Z220Fs or Z220Ss and go completely manual with the DSLR.

HTH

ReyeR:
Wow, that is harsh! Hope you are feeling better now.

I reckon you should upgrade to DSLR - you deserve to do something nice for yourself after these unfortunate events :wink: :wink: .

As far as re-using the D-180s are concerned, depending on what system you upgrade to, you can with this device: Inon Optical Converter D. It's not cheap and I haven't heard of too many people using it. Instead, I would just find a loving new home for those D-180s and upgrade to a pair of Z220Fs or Z220Ss and go completely manual with the DSLR.

HTH
I would think $239 is not a bad deal to avoid buying two new strobes. Anything I am missing?

I'd upgrade the strobes, too. You can get a good price for them and apply it to new ones. Go for strobes with manual controls (as ReyeR suggested) - you'll have tremendous control of your lighting and it's not that hard to get started.

I don't know if I would go DSLR - have you looked at the costs? Housings start around $1200+ (Subal housings are around $3000), then there are ports from $150+ (some Subal ports are around $1000), trays, arms (which you may already have), cables...and a steep learning curve. You are also limited to one lens per dive. Oh yeah, and you have to buy lenses too - unless you already have a nice selection for your dslr on land. And bigger memory cards - again, if you have all this it makes the jump less shocking, but those housings/ports - whew!!

If you dive a lot and really really dig uw photo then dslr may be the way to go. If you don't dive often and don't often decend with a concept for shooting in mind (instead take it as it comes) it may be a bigger jump than you imagine. I am still debating and I get to dive (usually :wink: ) pretty regularly and I always take a camera.

If you aren't going dslr, I'd look at replacing the 5050 as you are already set to roll with it or I'd look at the Fuji 810 and Ikelite housing.

There are so many good options out there it's hard to choose!

Have fun shopping!

sapphire:
OK, I got to this point, not by choice, but by an unfortunate sequence of events. Here I am, recovering from surgery and can't dive for 8 weeks :17: , when some idiot decides he needs to burglarize my house. Gone is jewelry, my daughter's laptop, a video camera with tapes of irreplaceable family memories included in the case, and my Oly C5050Z.

I have TWO Oly housings (one a gift from a friend who already upgraded to a Nikon D70, and two Inon D180 strobes, plus a nice ULCS tray and arms. Although he looked through the stuff, I guess the burglar could not decide what to do with those things.

My question:

I would really love to upgrade to a DSLR. But I would really love to ALSO still use my strobes and not have to replace those. Is there any camera/housing combination that would allow me to use my strobes :06: ??

I am relying on all you experts out there for advice :07:, thank you!

sapphire

J - I am sorry to hear about what has happened! I hope that you and your daughter are ok and that those responsible will be found and held responsible....

Anyhow, I recently went through the upgrade dilemma myself. I went from an Oly C5050Z with dual Inon strobes (D-180 and D-2000) with Fisheye tray, ULCS arms and INON UWL-100 to a Nikon D-70 setup. My plan was originally to sell off the strobes and the arms, and WAL as they seem to have (and keep) the most value. The Camera and Housing not so much. But since I'm going to be doing some UW Photography teaching this year, I decided to keep the setup and use that in the classroom.

It was painful to do this since the rig still has some good value. Going to the Nikon D-70 with Ike housing (still waiting on the iTTL housing which should be here shortly), dual DS-125 strobes and various Nikon lenses cost a small fortune and cash from the old rig would have helped. I don't know what the final tally is, but I suspect it will be in the $7000 range.

I thought for a while to use my existing strobes, but I figured that if I was going all out, I would just bite bullet and do it properly, rather than trying to save a few bucks and try to make my existing gear work with the DSLR. Having TTL isn't a huge issue for me as I tend to shoot manual, but if I ever decide to upgrade from the D70 to a D2x or whateve, the iTTL should help resale.

One of the biggest issues I can see is definitely cost. A whole different league than the C5050. As well, your choices of lenses and dome ports are critical to the type of photography you want to do. With the C5050, it was pretty simple. Lug along a couple of wet lenses and pop them on when you need them. With the D-70, you are going to be somewhat more limited as you choose your lens for the dive. Zooms like the 12-24 can be useful, but you do sacrifice other things by doing so. Again, it's all going to be personal preference as you learn the D-70. May swear by 10.5mm WAL, other the Sigma 15mm. I've got a 12-24 and 18-70. But since I've yet to receive my housing, I can't really offer much in way of practical advice (yet). I suspect the 18-70 will get limited UW use and will be mostly for topside.

Anyhow, good luck with your decisions.

W

I was thinking of upgrading too. (FYI I've been "Burgled" a few times my self and each time it get worse.. a tear goes out to you-gawd I hate that)
Anyway, was thinking along the same lines. Do I just upgrade at the level, Pro-sumer, I'm at or go to a starter DSL.

Pro-sumer = Oly 7070 w/ L & M Housing keeping the WA/Macro lens and Nikon SB105 strobes with trays etc... (Backscatter indicated the lenses would work on the 7070 housing. - apx cost $1800 for housing & $400 for 7070.

OR !!

DSL = D70 (or 100) and Ikelite Housing.... but then as you start to get into it... as Alcina rightly states, the costs just skyrocket up...

So I'm staying down at the Pro-sumer level, will (if $$$ allows) get the 7070 an L&M housing.. and wait until I can make the DSL Leap and do it right.

I could get an Ikelite, and it probably makes more sense, but I do like the small compactness and the lens compatibility from my L&M 3030/4040 housing..

Plus the 7070 is probably the top of the line - just speaking to pix sizes etc, and will keep it for a long while.... also like the ability to see the photo in the LCD in the back. Eyes aren't what they used to be...

So my bottom line is upgrade to the next level in the pro-sumer level if you feel the need to... the 5050 is a great camera and does the job, just a little outdated. You can probably sell the housings to get an Ikelite one.. prefer that over the mfg Oly ones.. but I'm in cold water with gloves... so whatever you're comfortable with..

Again, my sympathy goes out on the Burgerly... hate it... ;-((

Thanks everyone for the feedback... you have given me plenty to think about at this point. I guess I will wait to see how much I can get from the insurance and look into selling the strobes... and see if it is enough to upgrade :)

jennifer

Hey Jennifer, sorry to hear about what happened to you and that you were in the hospital too. We were buglarized while we were sleeping...not fun at all.

I too was thinking about upgrading to a DSLR, the thing that is keeping me from doing so (besides the mu-la) is that if I want to do macro I can make that choice while I am diving, at the same time I can switch to my WAL at any time during the dive. If you go with the 7070 or the 8080 - you would be more flexible

justleesa:
I too was thinking about upgrading to a DSLR, the thing that is keeping me from doing so (besides the mu-la) is that if I want to do macro I can make that choice while I am diving, at the same time I can switch to my WAL at any time during the dive. If you go with the 7070 or the 8080 - you would be more flexible

Thanks, Lisa, that's a good perspective. I like that flexibility too! I may start looking into the upgraded Oly's... but I do really hate that dang shutter lag!

Jennifer

PS - I AM glad it wasn't while we were sleeping... how scary for you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom