Should I upgrade my G250 to the new 's-wing' poppet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divedrewsf

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hello - sorry to bring up a relic (albeit a loveable relic, eh). Hoping people still are diving this wonderful 2nd stage and may provide some wisdom.

I've used this quarantine (here in Manila) to finally teach myself to overhaul my MK11/G250 rigs. It was super easy. My question is related to the new 's-wing' poppet available for the 109/G250. My G250s still use the old blue poppets. Should I be upgrading to the new one? What will that give me that I'm not getting now?

Thanks for any feedback. Be safe!

and, btw....I have a G250HP that I don't use. it looks like that has the new poppet. will that fit my G250? maybe I'll just yank it out and put it in my G250. Possible?

Hoping people still are diving this wonderful 2nd stage
Absolutely! Plenty of us still diving the G250.

Should I be upgrading to the new one?
You may not have a choice. I don't know where one would find an unused blue poppet-and if you did, it would be too old? I don't know what the shelf life on the old blue poppet seat is. The question then would be, is the seat going to last any amount of time or has it deteriorated?

What will that give me that I'm not getting now?
Performance-wise, I don't think I could tell the difference even though the S-Wing is more aerodynamically designed. You would be gaining the ability to replace just the seat instead of throwing out the entire poppet.

.I have a G250HP that I don't use. it looks like that has the new poppet. will that fit my G250? maybe I'll just yank it out and put it in my G250. Possible?
Yes, The S-wing fits in all of the G250ies as well as the Balanced Adjustable, and a host of other SP second stages. (not the 109 unless you upgrade it.)

Should you yank it out and install it in your G250? If you do, you'll still have to replace the seat and a couple of o-rings. If you can get an S-wing and also a service kit, I would advise to update the G250 and service the G250HP...unless finding the s-wing is an issue. If so, yes, remove it from the one you don't use, install a service kit and you're done.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom