Should I get slightly lower quality octo than my primary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alex_can_dive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I’m looking to buy a new octo. (My current octo was a second hand, inherited from a friend)

My primary is brand new, which costs ~$800, and I don’t want to pay that much for an octo. Is it a good idea to get cheaper octo?

(Cold water use)

What’s your primary? As far as I can tell, the cheapo octos are likely for warm water use.

What’s your primary? As far as I can tell, the cheapo octos are likely for warm water use.

My primary( and its 1st stage) is the Atomics T3.
The octo was Zeagle F8, which was supposedly for cold-water, too. But then again, it’s old and broke now (you’ve seen my other thread :D)

It seems another T3 octo would cost ~$800 and it seemed too much

things.

1. Cheaper doesn't necessarily mean lower quality.

2. Did you really spend $800 for a second stage?

3. What is your current octo and is anything wrong with it? It's possible all you need is a service.

Posts overlapped.

I think I’m done with second hand now ... I’d rather buy something mid-range but new and not have to worry about it for awhile. :D

(AquaLung is hard to service at my local favorite shop, so I’d rather not get it)

any rec on which model to get that fits my criteria? (< $300, good for water up to 32F)

things.

1. Cheaper doesn't necessarily mean lower quality.

2. Did you really spend $800 for a second stage?

3. What is your current octo and is anything wrong with it? It's possible all you need is a service.

Posts overlapped.

1. I agree :)
2. Yeah, by the time I was buying the reg, I got a bonus at work so I bought the atomics T3 1st and 2nd stage (out of impulse I guess ). Bonus wanst enough for the octo so ... :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom