Should I get Pesos in Cancun? Or wait till Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amoses

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am flying into Cancun in June and doing the bag drag. Should I get pesos out of a Bank ATM at the airport so I can pay for the bus, ferry, etc., with Pesos? or just pay USD for those things and get Pesos when I arrive in Cozumel? Or is there an even better scenario?

The ADO bus tickets can be purchased with a credit card (at least at the ADO desk inside the terminal). That said, I'm always comfortable having at least a little local currency in my pocket...in this case, for the ferry (although I suspect they will take a credit card, too).

I figure every time you pay for anything in foreign currency, you're getting a bad exchange rate. Sooner or later you're gonna want pesos, for the bus, the ferry or the taxi to your hotel, whatever.

There are a few ATMs in the CUN airport (departure terminal), they're pretty much right on the way as you're dragging your bag to the bus.

I am flying into Cancun in June and doing the bag drag. Should I get pesos out of a Bank ATM at the airport so I can pay for the bus, ferry, etc., with Pesos? or just pay USD for those things and get Pesos when I arrive in Cozumel? Or is there an even better scenario?
I don't think you save very much on the ferry or bus by paying in Pesos. Taxis and food and beverage is where you will save the most. It is nice to have Pesos on the ferry if you want to buy a drink but not really that big of a deal. I usually just use the ATM's at Mega, just make sure you set up a travel alert with your bank. I did the day prior to my last trip and they still put a hold on my card when I tried to get cash. I didn't have my phone on me so had to walk back to my hotel to call and straighten it out.

There are a few ATMs in the CUN airport (departure terminal), they're pretty much right on the way as you're dragging your bag to the bus.
Will I get the same rates from airport ATM's as I will an ATM at a bank in Coz?

I have no idea about the rate. I usually want to bee line it out of the airport as fast as I can, too many people trying to help you. I am sure the rates are not going to vary that much.

I try and use pesos as much as I can so I get them from my local Chase branch...usually $1000 or so and they give a decent exchange rate and no fees.

Actual bank ATMs are safer and give you the official rate. You can use a card or USD for most things anyway, might not get a good rate on the USD at point of sale or cabs.

As soon as you get through customs and go through the doors, you'll see a hallway straight ahead leading to the restrooms, and a Santander ATM at the beginning of the hallway. Stop there and get the pesos that you need.

Yes the cost of pesos will be the same there as any other Santander on the mainland or island. The difference between Santander and any other bank will be negligible.

That has always been my first stop after customs. I usually withdraw $5,000 - $7,000 pesos. There are pre-set amounts, but you can override the maximum limit, if you stay under your banks daily withdrawal limit.

Is it a safe ATM? Without question. Think about how many hundred times that thing is used per day, and how many thousands of people walk by that thing every hour.

If you have a Schwab or Fidelity account, all fees will be reimbursed. Other institutions charge what they will. My credit union charges me $1.00 USD per out of network transaction.

As soon as you get through customs and go through the doors, you'll see a hallway straight ahead leading to the restrooms, and a Santander ATM at the beginning of the hallway. Stop there and get the pesos that you need.
I have a layover in Mexico City, Will I go through customs there or in Cancun? And, If I go through in Mexico City, they will I still come out of Cancun near the atm you are talking about?

I have a layover in Mexico City, Will I go through customs there or in Cancun? And, If I go through in Mexico City, they will I still come out of Cancun near the atm you are talking about?

Mexico City.

You almost certainly will arrive in terminal 2, and my directions were for terminal 3. There is an easily accessible ATM in T2 though, that my Canadian acquaintances always use, (Canadian airlines fly into T2). Just ask for the ATM. All of my comments concerning the T3 ATM would apply.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom