should i get a strobe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arenny

Contributor
Reaction score
I want to buy the C5050 and the PT015. I am seeing that it is $$ to get a strobe, arm and bracket. Can I get away with using a flashlight type setup like for a video camera? I was just wondering if there is a cheap alternative for the time being...
Which strobes do you recommend for the PT015?
Thanks!!!

In my limited experience, a dive light is a minor improvement over nothing at all, but they do not add much light. Most dive lights are designed for adding colour in a concentrated spot, either for day or night dives. As a result of this, they tend to create hotspots in a photo, even with a diffuser.

My last trip I used a UK D4R to add some light....results at www.merith.com but following that I have bought a Sea&Sea YS25DX strobe. This was as much as I could afford at the time, and I figure will make an excellent fill strobe if I ever have the money or feel the need to upgrade to a bigger/better strobe.

Hope this helps,
Simon

You will get better results with a strobe.
Yes, UW strobes are costy. As well as the arms.

One "el-cheapo" alternative is to buy a regular slave strobe and house it yourself. Nowadays you can buy a good slave strobe for less than 50$ they get cheaper as digital cameras get more and more common. Take the slave strobe, put it in a clear Pelican (or similar) case, and you have an underwater external slave strobe! You can improvize a holding device very easily, or hold the strobe in your hand..

How much for the DX25 Sea and Sea setup?
I will try to get one eventually, thanks for the replies

The el cheapo solutions sounds like it might just work. Has anyone actually done this? I'd love to know what I need to pull this off.

vicky once bubbled...
One "el-cheapo" alternative is to buy a regular slave strobe and house it yourself. Nowadays you can buy a good slave strobe for less than 50$ they get cheaper as digital cameras get more and more common. Take the slave strobe, put it in a clear Pelican (or similar) case, and you have an underwater external slave strobe! You can improvize a holding device very easily, or hold the strobe in your hand..

I've never heard of anyone trying this and I have my doubts whether it would work at all. If so, everyone would be making their own housings for all kinds of things!

I strongly suggest you save your money towards a 'real' underwater strobe!

Hello,

Underwater the color temperature varies dramaticaly, a strobe is color calibrated to give us a similar color temp as the sun. A flashlight is not calibrated, this means the color temp will vary drasticaly. Now the equasion for exposure takes into account several things like color temp, light intensity and so forth. You also have to factor in film, or the equivalent, color spectrum sensitivity. When all is said and done flashlights make good modeling lights but leave the light work to real strobes.

Also when you put strobes in housings you alter the color temp and intensity. You can beat yourself up all day long but the best thing to do is like Dee said, save your penny's and buy a real strobe.

Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom