Should I do GUE Fundamentals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alekath

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So going to start doing some tech diving course next year. Originally planning on doing TDI Intro to Tech and then a few months later after more practice on skills I've learnt doing the TDI AN/DP.

My dilemma is should I do a GUE fundamentals course before doing this? (Or at all)

I already dive a mostly GUE setup with some minor deviations. As such I was under the assumption the fundies course would really aid in helping perfect my configuration and base skills on which I will build my further tech skills upon. So that I have a really solid foundation going into future diving.

However the issue is GUE courses aren't really offered anywhere near myself. And the cost go doing one with travel and accommodation would be substantial. The other issue is locally we don't have any GUE divers locally and I don't particularly plan to follow all the principles of GUE after the course, such as solo diving and computers etc...

GUE Fundamentals will make all your future technical diving courses, GUE or not, much much simpler and easier.

GUE aren't the diving police. If you're not on a GUE course or diving with other GUE divers, then you're not obliged to follow GUE SOPs; so if you really want to dive alone, or use a computer, or dive with non-GUE divers, then you are perfectly free to do so. GUE aren't going to pull your certification.

Bear in mind though that if you go for a GUE Level 1 course after Fundamentals, then you will be expected to have carried out a minimum number of dives at Fundamentals level, within GUE protocols, with GUE divers, before you can be accepted on the course.

It's an excellent course, but if you have to really go out of your way with travel and costs I would be looking for alternatives. There's nothing magic about it that couldn't be learned from a good instructor from another agency.

About the computers, since it has been mentioned several times: GUE doesn't disallow computers. I did my Fundamentals course with Suunto Zoop and still have my card.

Bear in mind though that if you go for a GUE Level 1 course after Fundamentals, then you will be expected to have carried out a minimum number of dives at Fundamentals level, within GUE protocols, with GUE divers, before you can be accepted on the course.

No, you can apply for Cave 1 or Tech 1 immediately after earning a Fundamentals Tech Pass. No dives needed.

should I do a GUE fundamentals course before doing this? (Or at all)

Yes its going to improve your diving, in my case I was negatively buoyant and using my hands to do a lot of finning. My RMV has come down from 24 litres per min to 18 litres per min. I feel more comfortable calculating turn pressures and dive planning. Stephen Ho was the instructor at Dive Center Manly ... he is a good a teacher ...... Personally, I wish I had watched the Gue.tv website before hand and practiced some of the drills in a wing. Also it's easier in gear your comfortable with. The pace over 4 days is fast and there is not a lot of time to repeat thing you don't get straight away.

also of note, if you pass fundies, there is *in my opinion, as a tech instructor*, no need to take an intro to tech course. They are theoretically analogous with some instructors ItT being much closer to Fundies than others.

Yes, you should, but ...

Before I go further I'll add I'm a newbie with a year of diving, but I'll tell you my perspective. People will say it's the instructor that counts, not the agency, but I don't fully buy that argument. GUE has so few instructors and such a difficult standard to become (and stay) one that as far as I can tell all of them are fantastic. Anecdote: I personally met a tech instructor for a different agency who cross-trained with GUE just so they could get access to better dive buddies on their own trips. That really made me think about the reputation of GUE vs other agencies, individual competency aside.

The downside is that if you don't have a local GUE community it will be really hard to practice effectively. You also need to consider that if you choose to stick with GUE after there is no AN/DP equivalent. The next step after Fundies is Tech 1, which requires a tech pass. Getting a tech pass is quite difficult. I'm still working on my rec pass after my first attempt earlier this summer. I've met local people who succeeded on their first try, but they had some years of previous diving experience, including doubles, drysuits, lights, etc.

Now the caveat: I think GUE training is excellent, but you do have to consider how far you're willing to commit to their structure. I would think long and hard about this part:

> don't particularly plan to follow all the principles of GUE after the course, such as solo diving and computers etc...

In practice GUE divers do use computers (if as expensive gauges). The point is that you should be able to pre-plan your dive without one. The solo diving part is anathema to GUE's philosophy, it's really a team-based diving organization. If you don't care for those things, maybe taking GUE training doesn't make sense. On the other hand, if you keep an open mind, it might just convince you of why they do things a certain way and you'll end up following it.

Good luck whichever way you decide!

Absolutely. The skills you will walk away with will serve you well. One of the strengths of the DIR agencies is having a gatekeeper course to ensure that you have the recreational skills needed to start technical dive training. For TDI ITT, it really depends on the instructor on how thorough the course will be. With GUE-F, there is no question. If you are going to be taking ITT from Ryan Custureri, then definitely skip fundies.

When it comes to technical diving, I almost follow the GUE principles. Team diving, standard gasses, but in sidemount. For recreational diving, I often dive solo, typically air.

The best piece of advice I received prior to taking fundies was "You don't have to drink the Kool Aid, just focus on the skills." And that's what I did. I'm incredibly grateful for experiencing of what a meaningful skills course is. Most of my training has been fluff and fundies was a cold, yet refreshing, shower.

Whatever you decide, as there are practicalities involved, good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom