Should I cover the internal flash if I have a strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just bought a strobe. I have rigged up a fiber optic sync cable to the camera.
My question is should I cover the internal flash from the camera and just rely on the strobe light?

My thought is that the internal flash, although very weak will cause some backscatter. On the other hand it may provide some additional light.

My camera is a Sony T1. Strobe is an Epoque Alpha DS150 and it is positioned about 1.5 ft away from the camera.
My main concern at this point would be taking pictures in the Caribbean ( Dominican Republic in Jan).

I live and dive mostly in Lake Ontario (Kingston, ON, Canada) where the water is much less clear, but my first big trial will be in the Caribbean .

Thanks for your thoughts

Jim

DiverDun:
I just bought a strobe. I have rigged up a fiber optic sync cable to the camera.
My question is should I cover the internal flash from the camera and just rely on the strobe light?
yes
My thought is that the internal flash, although very weak will cause some backscatter. On the other hand it may provide some additional light.
no
My camera is a Sony T1. Strobe is an Epoque Alpha DS150 and it is positioned about 1.5 ft away from the camera.
My main concern at this point would be taking pictures in the Caribbean ( Dominican Republic in Jan).

I live and dive mostly in Lake Ontario (Kingston, ON, Canada) where the water is much less clear, but my first big trial will be in the Caribbean .

Thanks for your thoughts

Jim
absolutely cover internal strobe and only use external..backscatter will be a problem otherwise..

DiverDun:

Yes.

Check the camera manual. Adding and external strobe MAY disable the built in flash. But check to make sure. If not, cover it.

Well, you have to make sure the optical sync cord can "see" the Sony's on-camera strobe go off. Ideally, put the working end of the sync cord between the onboard strobe and the block. And yes, blocking the onboard strobe should be done to reduce backscatter. Alternatively, you can use one of Inon's Clear Photo Film to cover the camera's strobe. It blocks out the strobe and only allow infrared red through to trigger the external strobe.

Thanks folks for the response. I guess the answer is pretty clear.
The non-IR filter is a neat idea also.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom