Should I buy a tank, or wait? If buy, What would be my best option?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's my take. Do the math. There's a huge cost in ownership. The VIP and hydro's are all on you. Most places will rent a tank for almost the same price they'll fill it for so you're not saving a ton.

If you're a single diver, diving less than ~ 30 times a year then it's not worth it. The last time I was in FL I rented a tank for $6? Fills were $4?

Now it is worth it for convenience to an extent, but without a compressor you're still bound the the shop for fills, it just means you can plan better.

Personally I currently own, maintain, and fill 17 tanks. It's for convenience. I'm not saving a dollar.

You do have to choose between using a tank valve with either DIN or yoke regs. DIN is better, yoke is more common, especially on dive trips (so if DIN, having a yoke adaptor is good for trips).
Not entirely true. The combo or "Pro" valves can work with both. The valve is slightly smaller so a yoke can fit over, and has an insert threaded into the DIN threads when using yoke. Removing the insert allows it to be used with a standard DIN regulator. It's got fewer threads, so a 300 bar DIN regulator will show some exposed threads, but it will still seal fine.
There are going to be a number of people on Scubaboard who ridicule this, but I like the valve knobs that have a red sleeve by the knob when closed, and a green one when opened (in this picture, the Vindicator is half way open):
I like these. I don't currently have them on my personal tanks, but I use them regularly while diving with the aquarium's tanks. I do plan on converting all my tanks in the near future. I dive often with my daughters and this is a good way to see the valve is fully open.

If you wait a few months, you may be able to pick up a slightly battered Ukrainian tank rather cheap...

Not entirely true. The combo or "Pro" valves can work with both. The valve is slightly smaller so a yoke can fit over, and has an insert threaded into the DIN threads when using yoke. Removing the insert allows it to be used with a standard DIN regulator. It's got fewer threads, so a 300 bar DIN regulator will show some exposed threads, but it will still seal fine.
These are pretty much standard valves in Australia, at least with Faber tanks which was the most commonly used steel tanks here.

I dive DIN and have all my inserts removed but keep them in a dry box in the car with an Allen key. I can easily lend one of my tanks to a buddy who uses yoke just by putting the inset back in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom