Should I buy a nitrox (O2) analyzer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diverlady13

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I hope this is posted in the correct place, but if not please do move this thread.

Wondering if I should be purchasing an analyzer for my husband (dive buddy) and myself or if it's unnecessary and we should just be using the shop's or boat's analyzer.

For background, we each have 35 dives...got certified late in 2019, took one more trip, and then the world shut down. Now that things are open, we're back to traveling (about every 6-8 weeks) and we're diving quite a bit. We've had 3 dive trips since November (bad weather limited our diving unfortunately) and are leaving in a week to board the Belize Aggressor IV. We have another trip scheduled to Mexico in June and will likely travel to dive again in July and maybe August. If we were just occasional vacation divers I wouldn't bother, but is it worth buying it and then carrying it along (more hand luggage) since we do travel frequently?

Money isn't the issue. I just don't have a feel yet for if there is a great benefit to having our own or if it's just a hassle to have one more thing to carry on the plane.

Opinions?

Yes it is nice to have, as you don't have to wait for the shop/boat analyzer to be ready. But ideally shouldn't be needed as most places that provide nitrox will have one. If you dives at home I would say definite must buy, but as a travel rec diver, it is a meh.

Nice to have your own. Just be aware that at some point you will need to replace the sensor, which can cost almost as much as the purchase price of a new one.

Even if you dive at home, you're going to have to get your nitrox fills from a dive shop or a dive boat. Each will have an analyzer for you to use when you get your tank back.

Yes it is nice to have, as you don't have to wait for the shop/boat analyzer to be ready. But ideally shouldn't be needed as most places that provide nitrox will have one. If you dives at home I would say definite must buy, but as a travel rec diver, it is a meh.

Thank you. That makes a lot of sense. I think I'll skip it right now and see if more of a need arises. So far the only time it was really an issue was with one particular cattle boat dive op. There were so many people stuffed onto the boat and the crew was rushing people into the water. It was a bit chaotic with so many people needing to analyze their cylinders and trying to get their gear set up with a very short ride to the reef. At least that trip taught us that our preference is for smaller ops generally or those that offer more help and less shrieking to "get in the water!!!". (I will get in the water when I am satisfied my gear is as it should be and not because someone is screaming at me to hurry up and crawl over the guys in the dry suits because the boat left late because a crew member overslept.)

Nice to have your own. Just be aware that at some point you will need to replace the sensor, which can cost almost as much as the purchase price of a new one.

Thanks. That's good info. I think I read that the sensors last about 3 years (on the Analox), but I'd suppose that depends on how much diving one does.

Thanks. That's good info. I think I read that the sensors last about 3 years (on the Analox), but I'd suppose that depends on how much diving one does.

And what type of mixes you are testing, the higher the oxygen content the faster you use the cell or so they tell me.. I'm about 2 years on mine, and the sensor is getting close to needing a replacement. Once it gets below 95% on my oxygen bottle, with my other tester confirming that it is pure oxygen, I'm going to replace it. But I am using it weekly testing pure oxygen among my other bottles. If you keep it in a sealed container between dive trips you will probably get 3 years easily.

...leaving in a week to board the Belize Aggressor IV.

Just regarding the Belize Aggressors, they will have a couple of O2 analyzers on board, and you'll document your gas analysis in a log.

I haven't seen them have a CO analyzer though...

Back
Top Bottom