Should I apply to join the dive team at work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O2BBubbleFree

Contributor
Reaction score
Come Jan. I will be eligible to apply for the dive team where I work. I’m on the fence as to whether I want to, so help me decide.

95% of the dives are shallow (top 50’ of the water column) dives in fresh water, low vis, with nothing to see but the compass. Basic dive plan is, “descend to X feet and follow Y bearing until told to ascend.” Boring.

The other 5% could include short dives to various depths with various tasks to accomplish (moving things, tightening things, inspecting things). These dives will be a little more fun than the ones described above. Again, in murky fresh water, but might see a few fish.

Very rarely I might get to use a scooter or other toy, but don’t count on it.

I would also occasionally dive in our 40’ diameter, 40’ deep tank. Either for training or to accomplish a task, as mentioned above.

No extra pay, but will be diving on work time. Members commit to being available for one day a month, but are typically not needed that often.

When I first started working here, I didn’t think I would apply for the dive team because when you turn a hobby into work there is a good chance that you will ruin the hobby. I think that this is especially a danger due to the nature of the majority of the dives.

Now that the time has almost come I am, as I said, on the fence.

The benefits I see are 1) time underwater (improve SAC, navigation), 2) exercise (I’ll probably have to get in better shape before I apply). Plus with two little ones and a wife that works nights, I haven’t been able to do as many rec. dives as I would like. These may not be reef dives, but at least I’ll be getting wet a little more often.

But the biggest benefit I see comes from the fact that I’m planning of becoming a part-time independent instructor in a couple of years, and having been a pro might look good to potential students, as well as the higher dive count. (I would like to avoid advice r.e. whether or not to become an instructor. There are enough other threads for that.)

Another issue is humiliation. I’m 20 years older than most of the current dive team members, and in worse shape. I am also an air hog, partially due to the fact that I am out of shape, but also, I believe, because I screwed up my lungs when I was a kid (I think from inhaling dry alfalfa dust in a makeshift barn, but I’m not sure).

I’d especially like to hear from any commercial divers: how likely is it that boring work dives might affect my desire to dive recreationally?

Thanks,

Sounds like this should be covered by OSHA 1910.401

What type of company do you work for and what would you be doing under water? Sounds like maintenance of some sort of tank?

TOM

O2BBubbleFree:
95% of the dives are shallow (top 50’ of the water column) dives in fresh water, low vis, with nothing to see but the compass. Basic dive plan is, “descend to X feet and follow Y bearing until told to ascend.” Boring.
Thanks,

What local lakes will you dive?

I think the best thing for you to do is establish your goals and expectations for what you want to get out of it. Foremost to consider is that this is a job. Therefore, the diving is going to be constrained to whatever work needs to be done. As long as you don't expect to get the same enjoyment from it that you would from whatever form of recreational diving you do.

From what you posted, it sounds like you have professional goal of becoming a dive instructor. I think you can expect to improve your diving skills, log a lot more dives, and probably get some helpful training. It will probably help with your conditioning too. So, there is definitely something you can get out of it.

It sounds like the main downside you have identified is that it won't be fun diving. I wouldn't look at this for a replacement for the recreational diving you have lost due to family commitments. Chances are it won't be as fun as that. Also, there may be some practical downsides you haven't considered. If this is something that is done part time it might interfere with your normal job, making that more difficult. Talk to the guys doing this work now and see if they have any complaints.

Also, is this something you want to do as a benefit to your career at this company or are you looking at getting out of there. There might might career rewards that factor in.

Incidentally, I am not a commercial diver but I have a good friend who was. He loves recreational diving and hated commercial diving. I think his problem was that his job involved a lot of drudgery and boredom (mostly above water), some hazards, and not a lot of pay. It didn't ruin his love of recreational diving, though, because rec diving doesn't have the features he didn't like about his commercial diving job.

yeah, like others, my first thought is safety

does your company have an OSHA-compliant program? what sort of dives are you talking about? what sort of support structure is there?

safety first

REII:
What type of company do you work for and what would you be doing under water? Sounds like maintenance of some sort of tank?

TOM

R&D for (mostly) Navy / USCG equipment. Diving would be in conjunction with testing of underwater equipment, either new technology or improvements to existing technology.

Back
Top Bottom