Should drysuit be used as a BC device?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it depends on what works best for the individual. I only add enough air in my suit to keep the squeeze off. I find my BC is easier to control my boyancy and I trust it more too. I dive with people that are so comfortable filling and purging air from their suit that they use it for boyancy. I just think that (for me) I like the control of my BCD.

Jimi

I'm with you Jimisurf. The key is to practice and get comfortable with what works best, so when something unplanned happens you know how to react.

SSI also teaches using the suit for bouancy based on the premise that having two bouancy devices to control is going to task overload a recreational diver. I think all of us would find this true from the stories told on this board about the quality of instruction or quality of learning we typically see when in tourist areas. The certification agencies probably believe this is the best bet to keep people out of trouble.

I just bought a drysuit about two months ago and have 8 dives on it so far. I never really felt comfortable with using the suit for bouancy control, but since that was how we were taught I have given it a try. However, I am coming to the conclusion that using the BC is much more comfortable and I can be much more accurate with my bouancy.

Either way you choose to go, proper weighting is going to be very important, even more so if using the suit as a BC.
As already pointed out, you're going to be about 6 lbs heavy at the start of the dive with an 80 cu ft tank, though the "actual" weight swing is going to wind up less, closer to 5 lbs because you're not going to hoover the tank bone dry.
5 pounds isn't an awful lot to contend with; once you get the hang of things you can pretty much control that by varying your tidal volume.
When you start loading yourself down with doubles & tanks big enough to stay down a week is when you're going to want to use the BC so you don't have that "Michelin Man" thing going.

Your drysuit can be used for buoyancy, on the surface only!! Underwater, add just enough gas to compensate for squeeze. Any more than that, and it is moving around on you everytime your attitude changes, and causes trim problems. The weight you are offsetting is your tank, the wing/BC is centered arround your tank, and works wonderfully to balance the varying weight of your tank during a dive. :) :)

Back
Top Bottom