Shotline ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a weighted line with a buoy or marker at the surface. It can be used in a situation where the boat can't anchor on the wreck. They drop the shot line and divers use it to descend. At the end of the dive, they return to the line, and can unhook it from the wreck and drift along with the line while the boat follows the marker while they do their deco.

During my tenure with the CG, shotline was what was used during operations with the shoulder line throwing gun. The shotline (similiar to para-cord, pre coiled to pay out freely) was attached to a weighted projectile. We used either modified M-16 or .30 bolt action. The projectile was porpelled by firing a blank cartrigde. Distance varied on the weight of projectile. It was used to get a line to a distressed vessel that we could not get close enough to. The shotline would then be attached to a heavier duty line and so on until we got the desired size line to the distressed vessel.

It's a weighted line with a buoy or marker at the surface. It can be used in a situation where the boat can't anchor on the wreck. They drop the shot line and divers use it to descend. At the end of the dive, they return to the line, and can unhook it from the wreck and drift along with the line while the boat follows the marker while they do their deco.

Thats what I was thinking. We use the same thing for fishing but called it a marker buoy.

During my tenure with the CG, shotline was what was used during operations with the shoulder line throwing gun. The shotline (similiar to para-cord, pre coiled to pay out freely) was attached to a weighted projectile. We used either modified M-16 or .30 bolt action. The projectile was porpelled by firing a blank cartrigde. Distance varied on the weight of projectile. It was used to get a line to a distressed vessel that we could not get close enough to. The shotline would then be attached to a heavier duty line and so on until we got the desired size line to the distressed vessel.

That reminds me of something I did one day. My neighbor was trimming a big tree in his front yard but couldnt climb high enough to tie off one of the top limbs. So I thought hey I can do this and never leave the ground. I go and get my dummy launcher for training retrievers,duck tape a small line to the dummy and boom over the limb it goes. I guess you had to be there my neighbor was extremely happy.

We like to add a flag and float on a line attached to the ball to indicate direction of current as well.
42309005.jpg

It's a weighted line with a buoy or marker at the surface

Can also be attached to a boat or fixed object (dive platform etc)

Means a weighted line IMHO

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom