Shorty vs. Springsuit -- is there a difference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At those Temps you'd need to put your shorty on over a full wetsuit. Brrrr

At 65° I’m drysuit but my cold tolerance has dropped a lot. Just finishing 10 days in curaçao using a 1mm, water temps 82/83 (depending on which computer) the last two days just wore a rash guard and swim suit, I was just as comfortable as I was with the 1mm or the sharkskin, last dive yesterday morning 2hr 5min and started feeling the first tinge of cold at the end but everything is dry and packed for heading home.

Same thing. But more important is that you will freeze if you use that guide. It's intended for active surface uses like swimming and surfing, not slow moving fully submerged scuba divers.
Where would I look for a temperature guide for scuba suit thickness?

So, the wetsuit thickness guide here: How to Choose a Wetsuit & Temperature & Thickness Chart | evo
recommends a top or shorty for water 65°- 75°, and a springsuit of full suit for 62°- 68°. But when I tried to find out what the difference is, it looked like the terms shorty and springsuit are being used interchangeably. Is there a difference?
Another thing to think about with regard to shorties vs full suits is protection from stings and abrasion. I have a .5mm full suit for summer just to protect against those chance times when you're tossed against the rocks during shore entry/exit due to wave surge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom