Short shutter lag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DBailey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
For a digital camera, what would you consider to be "short shutter lag"?

Is this information typically listed with the other camera specfications?

I am looking for a digital camera, and nothing bothers me more than the shutter lag. Any help would be appreciated.

If you go with a prosumer digital, shutter lag is a fact of life! I've never timed mine but by half pressing the shutter button, it's very short.

DBailey:
For a digital camera, what would you consider to be "short shutter lag"?

Is this information typically listed with the other camera specfications?

I am looking for a digital camera, and nothing bothers me more than the shutter lag. Any help would be appreciated.

www.dpreview.com (only the best digital camera site on the web) has very detailed specs for most cams. And almost all of their reviews cover shutterlag in time. But honestly, you're getting down to shaving tenths-of-seconds.

Shutterlag is one of the last things to consider when choosing a digital cam - especially for UW use. Availability of affordable housing (!) is much higher on the list and its not even a cam function.

As far as camera functions, low light usability, accessibility of features directly (read: buttons, not menus), resolution and of course image performance are all much higher on the list above shutter lag. Size is a consideration, as is support (does anyone you know use it, is there an active user community you can direct questions to, etc.) are all way above shutterlag to me.

Is it important? Sure. But I'd select a very popular slower cam that takes great pictures that has a housing can afford over a tweak esoteric fast cam that takes great pics but I need to eBay my car to get the housing.

K

I would consider "fast" to be one that is close to my film cameras. The only digital camera I have laid hands on that matches this is the D2H. See Mo2vation's post about the $.

Reputation of the D70 is that it's close; I haven't laid hands on this body yet.

All the best, James

fdog:
I would consider "fast" to be one that is close to my film cameras. The only digital camera I have laid hands on that matches this is the D2H. See Mo2vation's post about the $.

Reputation of the D70 is that it's close; I haven't laid hands on this body yet.

All the best, James

DSLRs like the D70, D100, 300D etc have no discernible shutter lag.

It is not the MOST important feature, but if you shoot underwater lonmg enough and miss those clownfish shots, it might become important enough

Chris

I have been playing with my D70 and I did not notice any shutter lag as I did with the C5050. Buffer and writing to CF card is also much much faster. Can't wait until my housing arrive!

ssra30:
I have been playing with my D70 and I did not notice any shutter lag as I did with the C5050. Buffer and writing to CF card is also much much faster. Can't wait until my housing arrive!
Hey ssra30, which housing are you going for?

ReyeR:
Hey ssra30, which housing are you going for?

ReyeR, I ordered Sea and Sea housing. It supposed to get here at the end of last month but did not. The current story is that the housing will be shipped out May 21st so hopefully I will get it by the end of the month. Plan a quick weekend trip early June to try out the setup then Lembeh Strait early July so hopefully everything will be ready.
I was going to get Ikelite housing but it does not support the 70-180mm macro lens that I want to use. Aquatica and Nexus does not have much of a local support/service here in Bangkok so Sea and Sea is pretty much the only choice (well, at least for what I can afford anyway, heard from a local dealer that Seacam may also make a housing for D70 but I will need to earn at least 3 times what I make now to even consider it :11: ).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom