Short Notice Key Largo Reef Spawning Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What an amazing dive that was. The waters were calm, no current and if you sat on
the bottom and looked up you could see the stars.
I saw the biggest hogfish I have ever seen in my life on that reef last night, It took everything I had not to take it back to the boat with me. He was right there never moved until we touched him with our lights. In fact we saw two last night that would have made a wonderful dinner for 10. Lobsters were everywhere walking around and coming right up to us. Saw a huge snapper as well. Good grief the food that was on the reef last night was amazing...
Debby and I buddy up for the night and we started out just finding our star coral and scouting the reef and checking out what was out for the night. We visited the statue for a few min and than hit the rest of the reef. Amazing things happen at night on reefs. The colors are all different than during the day. Blues are really blue and oranges are really bright. Fish glow in the dark. And fish come out you don't see during the day well at least I dont.
After our first dive we all sat on the boat and scarfed down the great food that was brought by everyone. Capt Scotty made sure we had hot coffee as well on the boat for everyone along with cold drinks.
Our second dive was better than the first we found our coral head and sat and watched the most amazing life come out of it. You would see little a bit of motion and than all of a sudden it would explode and baby's would fly out as if they were so ready to meet the world. You could put our hand in front of your light and they would land in your hands. It was amazing!!! The fish on the reef came to life while the spawning was going. Seemed like they were all having a party on the reef swimming in circles, up down sideways it was a sight to see.
after a while I got a little chilled even with my 3 mil on as I am a very warm water wuz so I told Debby I was heading back to the boat she and I went back and she stayed as she loved it so much she wasnt ready to end her dive. I headed for the warm coffee and warm water rinse on the boat.
I have to say that was the most amazing night for me. I so enjoyed meeting NJ, Kil and SurelyShirly and being about to do another night dive with Paf and DeepSeaExplorer was fantastic.
Deb what can I say your the best hun not only as a friend but a great dive buddy:kiss2:
I would like to say thank you to everyone at Atlantis Dive Center you did a great job!!!! Capt Scotty and Mark for putting up with us all. Pasha Capt Scotty's wife for making the coffee for us all and giving us a tour of their live aboard after our dive.:kiss2:
Humm now what can I do next and when :eyebrow:
Becka

WOW, Surelyshirly, what an absolute poetic description of a night dive, I been doing night dives since 1963 and love them but doubt I could ever describe one the way you did, man I wish my old brain could remember half of what yours did on that dive. Sorry I am in NC and missed the dive glad it went well and everyone saw the spawn and Christ, not a bad night on the reef. I did the spawn dives in Aug and it was just wonderful, seeing our beautiful reef growing and thriving while watching Mother Nature at work is a cool thing. Will see you guys on the boat this weekend for some more fun. Slate

Thanks Surelyshirly you are the best dive buddy that I've never dove with-that report made me feel I was right there beside you. I had a wonderful time Thank you

Hey, nobody ever posted pictures of this dive. Anyone? Got pics?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom