Short Notice Key Largo Reef Spawning Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Speargirl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
cs5.jpg

What happens is the coral have evolved a method of reproduction called ‘Broadcast Spawning.” The coral polyps send their eggs and sperm into the water in massive quantities. When egg and sperm unite resulting larval-stage “planula’ swims to the surface to drift in the current and grow. Thus creating our future coral reefs.
cs1.jpg

This is an exceptional opportunity for underwater photographers and nature lovers. This wonder of nature only occurs once a year, you cannot not miss it!​
cs2.jpg

Over the years Capt. Slate has found the perfect spawn location and we always have ‘caught’ the spawn when the weather isn’t a factor.

cs3.jpg

cs4.jpg

squid.jpg

Spawning of the Reefs
cs2.jpg

Spawning of the Reefs in Key Largo
Sept 10th and 11th, 2009 MM106
Night Dive Atlantis Dive Center 305 451-3020
Departure 8:00p return 1am back at docks
2 tank dive
Tanks and wts included
SB cost is $50pp plus tax (You must let them know your from SB to get this special rate)

People who love to take pictures really don't want to miss this.

PM me if you need the rest

If you need a place to stay and like the bunk house style, grab a bed as well. If you want to rent a place and fill it yourself please let me know and I can take care of that as well. 305 393-9686

These boats will fill fast so please call now to get your seats reserved !!!!! 305 451- 3020

I am also looking for a buddy for this trip
:praying:

I know I'm not the best
buddy for a night dive yet, but I am looking for someone who will put up with me for this one night :goingdown: I promise I will try to keep :zen: I will try not to be :nervous: I wont be scared that might be on the food chain :shark: I promise I will let my buddy take lots of :uwphotographer: I promise to be the best night diver/ buddy I can be.:blush:
I promise I will stay right beside you the whole time you can bet on that one
:wink:

Sorry for my first post with the time mix up. I have the right times posted now and it is a 2 tank dive. Please forgive me I jump to fast sometimes :kiss2:

Last edited:
Sounds wonderful. Know a couple people going out on the Spree in Key West for the coral spawn. I'll be down that way but diving in KW on the Vandenberg... woo hoo! :rocker:

I just called for Friday's night dive but they didn't know anything about the $50 pricing.

I made the reservation anyways and he is going to talk to Capt. Slate to make sure of the price.

*EDIT*
[-]I just got called back from Capt. Slates and they said since its a two tank night dive they normally charge $100 but they are charging SB members $80.
I may have to cancel :([/-]

***Another Edit***
See the Capt's post below! The price IS $50 for the two tanks!!!!!!

LETS DIVE DIVE DIVE

Last edited:
OOOOOH that's expensive but I want to do it. Friday night = cool although I do have to drive back to be at work Saturday morning. Becka, any chance of making it a ONE TANK dive so it's more affordable AND so that I'll be home at a decent hour (90 minute drive home from Slate's)?

^^^^ agreed. exactly same situation here. :)

Hang on

Thanks Spencer, standing by! :)

BTW Broward peeps, I don't work on Fridays so if you'll help on gas/tolls, I'm happy to drive. Could take up to 3 other divers if it's a one-tanker.

Hi SB Nation, was out on the boat this am and Speargirl posted the coral spawn dive and I just wanted to give ya an idea of what we do. The price is $50. for SB only the price Speargirl posted earlier today, we had stated $80. but who is gonna argue with Speargirl. We leave the dock around 8 pm and go to our location and do the first dive to get oriented to the spot and find the star coral heads you want to watch, there are approximately 30 star coral heads in our spot. But the spawn only occurs after 11 pm always, usually around 11:20pm and continues until usually just after midnight. This is something that ony occurs once a year or sometimes twice (a split spawn) this year. So the drill is to be in the water lying next to a coral head that looks like it has its 'eggs' ready to release and all of a sudden the entire head releases the 'planula' and they float to the surface. So it is a two tank dive and a late night, we usually get back to the dock after 1pm. But you will never miss another spawn after you see this wonder of nature. This year the August spawn was spectacular and we only hope this weeks' spawn is better, we do go out two nights to make sure we see the spawn so we will go out both the 10th and 11th. See ya soon...Captain Slate

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom