Short cut to highway 180?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharky60

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok, so we're going to Ek Balam in late April on a day off from diving on Cozumel. We'll be driving from Playa del Carmen to E.B.

On my Yucatan road map I see a road heading west by northwest (almost perpenicular to the coastline), out of Playa and eventually runs into Hwy 180, the highway & toll road from Cancun to Merida.

1. has anyone driven this road?

2. is it a 2 lane paved road with jungle on either side, much like the road to Coba from Tulum? better? worse?

3. is it safe?

I don't mind driving all the way up to Cancun and then cutting over, just thought this would be something different.

Ok, so we're going to Ek Balam in late April on a day off from diving on Cozumel. We'll be driving from Playa del Carmen to E.B.

On my Yucatan road map I see a road heading west by northwest (almost perpenicular to the coastline), out of Playa and eventually runs into Hwy 180, the highway & toll road from Cancun to Merida.

1. has anyone driven this road?

2. is it a 2 lane paved road with jungle on either side, much like the road to Coba from Tulum? better? worse?

3. is it safe?

I don't mind driving all the way up to Cancun and then cutting over, just thought this would be something different.

First you will be amazed by Ek Balam. It has literally rewritten the book on Mayan art. I prefer EB to CI any day.

All the tours to the area use either the Tulum/Coba road or the highway from Cancun so I would assume that the road you are talking about is a much slower route. Since it is a long day to get to EB and back, I would bite the bullet and use the toll road. For lunch/dinner I would hit http://www.mesondelmarques.com in Validolid. Great food at a bargain price.

BTW, the road from Tulum is a designated Federal Highway.

Thanks for the restaurant tip, we would like to stop in Valladolid while we are in the area.

I'll have to look at my Yucatan road map again and see if the road is labled.

It clocks about 30miles of road from Playa to where it meets up with the toll road/180 about 30 miles out of Cancun.

If this is a viable road, I can save over 40 miles of driving.

the road I'm talking about is either Av. Constituyentes or Av. Juarez, I think. It looks like the road that heads straight out from the ferry pier.

on my road map it shows it going through Playa del Carmen and out into the jungle, then makes a turn more northerly and runs into the toll road & hwy 180.

On the satellite, (google earth), I can't quite tell if the road goes all the way through or if it dead ends.

Some maps on the internet show the road dead ending...anyone out there got a clue

All I can tell you is that the local tour guides dont use it.

Anyone I've known who's gone recently takes the Coba road to Valladolid. Between tours and individuals choosing this way, there's gotta be a good reason. I'd stick with what's known over hoping a map is correct and gets you where you want to be.

One thing about asking directions around these parts, even if they have no clue what you're asking about, they don't want to disappoint by not being able to provide help so they'll just give you directions to somewhere... not always where you wanted to end up. When you figure out you aren't getting there, you ask again...

All I can tell you is that the local tour guides dont use it.

That's kind of the point, not really to save the 40 miles, I most likely won't save a lot of time because of it being a secondary road, but to see something new. I've already driven both the other routes.

There are a couple of towns or villages along the way and I'm pretty sure this route is taken to get to some cenotes. I just can't quite tell if the road goes all the way through anymore. My map is several years old and it shows it going through, but a map I've found on the internet shows it just stopping a few miles out of Playa del Carmen.

I'm starting to get a sneeky suspicion that it used to, but a section of it might have gotten damaged from one of the hurricances and it hasn't been rebuilt yet.

So I may be stuck driving up to Cancun and over. The higway does by-pass Cancun and it is all good, and some of it brand new. It's a lot further to go to Tulum and take the Coba road from Playa.

At this point I'm just more curious than anything...ok, obsessed. I guess it's just the Columbus in me.

...ask for directions?? What's that?!? :d

Thanks for the opinions, they are very much appreciated.

How about going the way you know will get you there and trying the other way on your return to Playa? If it doesn't work out then it's just part of the adventure and not a half day lost at the ruins.

An Ek Balam report posted recently on LocoGringo. Great photos. Ek Balam Trip Report.

(And if you like a good laugh, this guy has a great sense of humor... here's his other "trip report" TOKEN TURS INK!!! :rofl3: )

....(And if you like a good laugh, this guy has a great sense of humor... here's his other "trip report" TOKEN TURS INK!!! :rofl3: )

That's phunny! I love it! Mecksicun hoomor at itz best!!

May try the "reverse route" thanks for think'n' out of the box for me:D

That's phunny! I love it! Mecksicun hoomor at itz best!!

May try the "reverse route" thanks for think'n' out of the box for me:D

Mebe u cud book weeth Token Turs... the xpurts for Ribera Maya trabel needs. :beer:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom