Short but not petite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ljpm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

My wife is 4'10" but weighs more than 80 lbs. Does any one know of a drysuit manufacture that makes a drysuit for a short woman with a reasonable weight (130lbs). A friend suggested Asian sizing but I can't seem to find a manufacturer that posts this type of sizing. Additionally, we have found size ranges that include 4'10" but they usually range up to 5'3". These wont fit. Any wetsuit that will fit the arms and legs of someone 5'3" will not fit someone 4'10" properly.

Our other option is custom but were hoping to find something off the rack.

Any suggestions welcome.

Why is it that all wetsuit and drysuit manufactures think short women are size 0 and tall women have to be size 16?

Since you are located in Canada have you considered a drysuit? Your wife is in the range of a 2XS-XS Aqualung Fusion. The suit is very flexible in sizing so it fits people that are not in the standard size chart.

he mentioned drysuit. Any of the drysuit mfg's can custom cut to whatever size she is. Just has to be fit properly

Like Andy said, you're in the "curve" for the 2XS/XS Fusion drysuit. While that size is for 5'1" to 5'5", the design of the suit will accommodate someone of her measurements. Actually, there's a version of the Fusion called the Fusion Fit that's better suited for women and may work better than the other Fusions. Also, like tbone said, custom sized suits can be had for not much more than an off the rack solution. Oftentimes it works out to be pretty close in the way of price.

Feel free to hit us up if you have any more questions. We can also discuss sizing further since we sell quite a few drysuits online and have gotten pretty good at helping people get sized up.

Actually I was asking about drysuits.

Feel free to hit us up if you have any more questions. We can also discuss sizing further since we sell quite a few drysuits online and have gotten pretty good at helping people get sized up.

Thanks. I probably will. My LDS is no help at all. I have tried numerous times to get their opinion on various things and they just wait for me to tell them what I want to buy.

2 years ago my wife and I trusted the LDS and purchased Henderson wetsuits. The LDS went with the size chart to which neither my wife nor myself fit. My wife purchased a semi dry wetsuit but the arms and legs are about 2 inches to long. Because of the aqua lock system this makes if very uncomfortable. We really don't want to make the same mistake again. I noticed that the Fusion Essence XS is listed to fit a woman 4'8" to 5'3". This looks good on paper but I can't see how the arms and legs are going to fit. We may just have to find a shop where we can try one on.

Custom may be the way to go. Check www.seaskin.co.uk. It is a UK based drysuit manufacturer, but they will ship worldwide. They are MTM only, and you customise your suit to your specific wants and needs. I got over 600 dives in my seaskin before I retired it.

call the dive right in scuba guys and talk to them, or Dan's Dive Shop if you want to stay in canada. Part of the problem now is your currency sucks, though is getting better, so bare may be a good to keep it in canada for $ purposes. You just need a good custom cut drysuit, simple as that.

Part of the problem now is your currency sucks, though is getting better, so Bare may be a good to keep it in canada for $ purposes.

I checked out Bare. According to their sizing the xs fits 5'3 1/2" to 5'5 1/2". The average height of a woman in Canada is 5'3 1/2". So Bare only makes drysuits for taller than average women.

I am also short but with an athletic build. Tried on 5 or 6 drysuits before finding one that worked "ok". Still too big in the shoulders and tight in the hips. XS men's cuts just dont work for curvy women!

Highly suggest you go with a custom, or "made to measure" suit. A well-fitting suit makes all the difference in comfort and performance. It may be a little more $$ but worth it in the end. I now dive a MTM santi ladies first and LOVE it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom