short and wide, do I have to go custom?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

baggins_69

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
me: 5' 7.5", long torso short legs/arms, 230lbs (like 27' inseam, but when I sit next to someone 6' tall our torsos are the same height)

I find I am somewhere between an XL and XXL torso, but even the XLS in every brand I've found is sized for someone 5'9 + with much longer arms and legs, as a result if the torso fits, I end up with elbow pads on my forearms, knee pads on my shins and having to roll the cuffs .

on the Ladies side of the house, Henderson makes their women's suits in constant height for varying width (short <5'4, Regular 5'5-5'10, tall 5'10+ and size is about hips and bust) but nobody seems to recognize that short stocky guys exist.

really would like to avoid the several hundred dollar premium for a custom suit, anybody got any recommendations?

me: 5' 7.5", long torso short legs/arms, 230lbs (like 27' inseam, but when I sit next to someone 6' tall our torsos are the same height)

I find I am somewhere between an XL and XXL torso, but even the XLS in every brand I've found is sized for someone 5'9 + with much longer arms and legs, as a result if the torso fits, I end up with elbow pads on my forearms, knee pads on my shins and having to roll the cuffs .

on the Ladies side of the house, Henderson makes their women's suits in constant height for varying width (short <5'4, Regular 5'5-5'10, tall 5'10+ and size is about hips and bust) but nobody seems to recognize that short stocky guys exist.

really would like to avoid the several hundred dollar premium for a custom suit, anybody got any recommendations?
One of the UK MTM Suits...O3, Seaskin, etc

One of the UK MTM Suits...O3, Seaskin, etc

The OP didn't specify a drysuit? It appears that they are asking for a wetsuit.

The OP didn't specify a drysuit? It appears that they are asking for a wetsuit.
yes, I am talking wetsuit.

a decent 3mm wetsuit can be had for <$150 (and a 7mm for <$250) if and only if you are skinny. anybody with a BMI over 25 (i.e. 70+% of americans) is not going to get a good fit off the shelf. a custom 3mm is going to be ~$300 minimum and a custom 7mm at least $500

for me to get a good torso fit, I need XXL torso (I am both overweight and skeletally broad), but even an XXL Short is sized for someone 5'11.5 or taller per Henderson's sizing chart. in what world is a 6' tall man "short"? (not railing on Henderson specifically, every wetsuit company is the same in this respect from what I've found)

so am I stuck ordering custom? or is there some company out there that (for men as well as women) recognizes that short (<5'8"), medium(5'9"-6') and tall(6'1"+) are constant values while "size" is highly variable?

yes, I am talking wetsuit.

a decent 3mm wetsuit can be had for <$150 (and a 7mm for <$250) if and only if you are skinny. anybody with a BMI over 25 (i.e. 70+% of americans) is not going to get a good fit off the shelf. a custom 3mm is going to be ~$300 minimum and a custom 7mm at least $500

for me to get a good torso fit, I need XXL torso (I am both overweight and skeletally broad), but even an XXL Short is sized for someone 5'11.5 or taller per Henderson's sizing chart. in what world is a 6' tall man "short"? (not railing on Henderson specifically, every wetsuit company is the same in this respect from what I've found)

so am I stuck ordering custom? or is there some company out there that (for men as well as women) recognizes that short (<5'8"), medium(5'9"-6') and tall(6'1"+) are constant values while "size" is highly variable?
Henderson will also shorten ankles and wrists on a stock suit, I think by up to 4 inches. So maybe an XXL short, plus modified cuffs? It will add to the cost, but nowhere near custom pricing.

Try a Large Short. That may fit. Go with Custom suit only as a last resort.

If you are interested in a drysuit, we have USIA techniflex suit with very little use that is designed for those that are short and stocky. PM me for details.

-Z

Back
Top Bottom