short afternoon trip for Radio Island Rock Jetti

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Debay777

Reaction score
This dive trip is a shore dive off of Radio Island on the causeway between Morehead City and Beaufort NC. IF your local its an Ok dive. I wouldnt drive any major distance for this dive trip.

Sat, Sept 30th at (of course where else?) Radio Island. Im trying to get a buddy from work to go, but Im not sure he will make it. I want to try for some fishing. I have a simple sling spear and am dieing to try it out. THis will be my first trip with it and I would like to get some good eats for a change. It would be nice if an experienced spear fisher came along for tips and suggestions. Who knows, if I (we) get enough maybe we will have a cook out at my house afterwards. once hunting season is over and my afterwork schedule kicks up ill have the dough for a boat dive here and there, but for right now I gotta stick to where its cheap. high tide is at 2:04 pm. I plan to be on the sand by 1:00. Bring your families and friends. My herd will be there playing in the sand privided the weather is clear.....by the way let me go check the forcast........sheww, partly cloudy. come one come all.

IF you are not familiar with Radio Island Rock Jetti I will give a small amount of Info. Radio Island is a fairly large dredge island made many years ago near the Beaufort Inlet. Along a portion of the Island is a mostly submerged rock jetti that parallels the shoreline. The top of the Jetti lies in about 5 feet of water and bottoms out right at 30 feet. the deepest part is right on the edge of a major channel. The Jetti provides a habitiat for many species of fish, some coral, grasses, and crabs. Dives are done ONLY at high slack tide to insure peak visibilty and that there is little to no current. Visibilty can be from inches to about 12-15 feet. It averages about 4-8 feet. The currents are strong during tide movements so you have to be in the right place once it starts moving out. If you start in the right place and watch your computer/watch It can make for good drift diving and can be good for fish watching and spear fishing. Most dives there run about 50 min (+/-). Access to the Jetti is the only real concern. IF all works out we will have either a truck to get our gear to the jetti, or a small boat from an LDS. Diving is free, and there is a dive shop 3 minutes away. I may also be diving the next day and possibly on the following Tues afternoon.

Pm me if you are interested or have any further questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom