Shore/freshwater dive buddy in and around Western Mass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-74

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Greetings Folks,

After reading this board (NE forum mostly) for quite some time, I finally decided to join. AOW certified about 10 years ago, due to various reasons my diving history is still limited to about 35 dives, most of which are vacation dives. However, in the last couple of months I did half a dozen dives out of Gloucester and in Lake Champlain, and I guess I got hooked by local diving and would like to do much more of it going forward.

Being sort of landlocked in Western Massachusetts without a boat, I'm really interested in exploring local freshwater shore dives, with an occasional trip to a larger body of water (ocean, sound, Lake George maybe). While I really enjoyed Cape Ann and Burlington, 5-6 hours of driving a day does take away from the experience, and charter fees quickly add up.

So if any of you are looking for a buddy for a weekend dive around here (western MA, northwestern CT, southern VT) - please let me know. I'm up for anything - Connecticut river sounds nice, ponds, lakes, quarries. If you have your favorite ocean shore dives, I'd love to check them out too, as I've read in this forum that finding them sometimes can get tricky.

Anyway, shoot me a message or reply to this thread if interested!

Hello,
I am looking for someone to dive with. I live in West Springfield, MA and mostly dive in Rockport, Salem MA and Rhode Island. My regular dive buddies have not been available and I still want to dive. I am usually doing some hunting, going after lobsters and scallops or spearfishing. I am mostly interested in ocean diving. I have a 17 ft inflatable that I dive off of. It is a good dive boat. If interested get in touch with me.
Thanks

Im also in NY landlocked and boatless for the time so do shore diving here always open to a buddy here or driving to somewhere you know there.

Hello,
I am looking for someone to dive with. I live in West Springfield, MA and mostly dive in Rockport, Salem MA and Rhode Island. My regular dive buddies have not been available and I still want to dive. I am usually doing some hunting, going after lobsters and scallops or spearfishing. I am mostly interested in ocean diving. I have a 17 ft inflatable that I dive off of. It is a good dive boat. If interested get in touch with me.
Thanks

Hi Dennis,

I was thinking about getting a lobster license next year, so I definitely would be interested in a few trips to the ocean, as much as time and family schedule allows. I don't have a dry suit, so my season is limited by that, but other than that I'm game.

Do you happen to have any local recommendations or favorite sites (within 1-1.5 hour from here or so)? BTW, my name is Denis, and I live right over the river in Longmeadow :wink:

Im also in NY landlocked and boatless for the time so do shore diving here always open to a buddy here or driving to somewhere you know there.

Hi Craig, will definitely keep that in mind if headed to your neck of the woods! Any favorite shore dives around where you are? Are any of the Lake George wrecks accessible from shore?

If you haven't dove lake George it is worth a try. Vis can be 40' plus. Theromcline starts deep so you can dive above it if you like. Half Moon Marine Services runs a boat out and Frank is a good guy. Dove with him 2-3 times over the years. There is a campground nearby where you can stay affordably and shore dive from the campground (I have not done this yet).

If you haven't dove lake George it is worth a try. Vis can be 40' plus. Theromcline starts deep so you can dive above it if you like. Half Moon Marine Services runs a boat out and Frank is a good guy. Dove with him 2-3 times over the years. There is a campground nearby where you can stay affordably and shore dive from the campground (I have not done this yet).

I haven't yet, and it is definitely on my list. Are you referring to the Hearthstone Point Campground? Looks great on the Google map :)

Yes, Hearthstone. New England Dive Shop in Wallingford, CT just ran their first trip to LG and the feedback was extremely positive. They will be planning another trip next year. The combo of very good vis, deeper thermoclines and some historic wrecks make LG a good destination in NE.

Denis,
I have only done Havilland Pond in Ludlow. It was not that interesting. It is at least a two hour drive to get to the places I know in Rockport, Salem and Rhode Island. Let me know if you want to go.
Dennis

Hi Craig, will definitely keep that in mind if headed to your neck of the woods! Any favorite shore dives around where you are? Are any of the Lake George wrecks accessible from shore?
hearthstone is great you can camp for a decent price and shore dive from the site there. There is a fuselage from a plane a small row boat and a car on the bottom there. Rogers rock is farther north can have some interesting formations off the rock slide and a deep dive if you swim to the slide. It can be a long surface swim though. I have not dove with halfmoon charters yet even though I have tried a few times this summer and my schedule just didnt work out.

Back
Top Bottom