Shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reecard

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Where and what resorts have good shore diving in the Greater Caribbean area? The resort has to be non diver friendly, since there will be some bubble watchers going along. Thanks in advance.

Bonaire would be a winner IMO. Great shore diving, good infrastructure and restaurant scene, reasonably priced. The only drawback is that there is no real beach on the side of the island where the diving is based. Most resorts, however, have pools, a bit of sand and easy access to the ocean.

I personally like Buddy Dive but there are other choices as well. Very good house reef there.
Divi Divi or Plaza Resort would be other considerations as both are in walking distance to town.

Also, given that the OP seems to have a modest amount of experience, Bonaire has little current or waves and easily navigated dive sites. Your bubble watcher friends might want to learn to dive in this appealing environment.

In Bonaire, Sand Dollar Condo.s and Den Lamen are adjacent, and where they connect, share a small sandy beach. Bonaire isn't known for sandy beaches, but there are exceptions - like Bachelor's Beach (a dive site).

Curacao is larger than Bonaire, has a rep. for more sandy beaches, and it has shore diving. I didn't do the shore diving there, but enjoyed the Jan. 2019 ScubaBoard Surge at Sunscapes Resort Curacao.

There are other places with shore diving; Grand Cayman and St. Croix some to mind. But with your emphasis on it, I'd be looking at Bonaire and Curacao. Some links in case it helps:

My Research Notes for Bonaire - My Research Note For Bonaire
8 Day Trip Report: Sand Dollar, Dive Friends
2022 Trip Report Bonaire Trip Report - V.I.P. Divers/Aqua Viva Suites

Curacao Trip Research Notes
Curacao Trip Report with SB Surge Jan. 2019

@Doctorfish - does the Plaza Resort Bonaire have a sandy beach that slopes into the water? I've never stayed there or dove their house reef, 18 Palms. IIRC, some photos I've seen in the past had me thinking it did, but I don't know.

The resort has to be non diver friendly
Expand on this. If they want to lay around in a hammock, sun bathe and read a book, that's easy. If trying their hand at windsurfing at Lac Bay or Kite Boarding at Atlantis, a half-day scenic drive through Washington-Slagbaai Park to the north, and sauntering around Kralengijk enjoying the quaint Caribbean vibe is what they're after, cool.

But if they're bringing kids, want a big sandy beach sloping out into the sea, lots of shopping, etc..., that's another story. Then Curacao, with the Sea Aquarium with dolphin shows, comes to mind. If they want a resort with a big kids' program, I wonder how many there are on Bonaire?

In other words, who are these non-divers, and how high maintenance are they?

In Bonaire, Sand Dollar Condo.s and Den Lamen are adjacent, and where they connect, share a small sandy beach. Bonaire isn't known for sandy beaches, but there are exceptions - like Bachelor's Beach (a dive site).

Curacao is larger than Bonaire, has a rep. for more sandy beaches, and it has shore diving. I didn't do the shore diving there, but enjoyed the Jan. 2019 ScubaBoard Surge at Sunscapes Resort Curacao.

There are other places with shore diving; Grand Cayman and St. Croix some to mind. But with your emphasis on it, I'd be looking at Bonaire and Curacao. Some links in case it helps:

My Research Notes for Bonaire - My Research Note For Bonaire
8 Day Trip Report: Sand Dollar, Dive Friends
2022 Trip Report Bonaire Trip Report - V.I.P. Divers/Aqua Viva Suites

Curacao Trip Research Notes
Curacao Trip Report with SB Surge Jan. 2019

@Doctorfish - does the Plaza Resort Bonaire have a sandy beach that slopes into the water? I've never stayed there or dove their house reef, 18 Palms. IIRC, some photos I've seen in the past had me thinking it did, but I don't know.

Expand on this. If they want to lay around in a hammock, sun bathe and read a book, that's easy. If trying their hand at windsurfing at Lac Bay or Kite Boarding at Atlantis, a half-day scenic drive through Washington-Slagbaai Park to the north, and sauntering around Kralengijk enjoying the quaint Caribbean vibe is what they're after, cool.

But if they're bringing kids, want a big sandy beach sloping out into the sea, lots of shopping, etc..., that's another story. Then Curacao, with the Sea Aquarium with dolphin shows, comes to mind. If they want a resort with a big kids' program, I wonder how many there are on Bonaire?

In other words, who are these non-divers, and how high maintenance are they?
The non divers are very laid back adults (no kids), all that is really needed is a pool and a place to get drinks!

I would recommend Curacao, how many people. Group of friends, extended family? Consider a VRBO in Curacao, many to choose from. Lots of nice places to go. Beautiful beaches to lie around on while the divers swim out for a dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom