Shore Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I recently 'inherited' a dive group, and I'm trying to put together the first trip.

I thought OBX shore diving would be a good start, and have seen a lot of data regarding Nags Head, but I've never done it personally. Any recommended guides or volunteers to lead us out? I expect it to be a small group this time of year, 3-6 people, and that we'll all be comfortable with cold water diving (45-55 degrees this time of year?).

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks!

Mike

I recently 'inherited' a dive group, and I'm trying to put together the first trip.

I thought OBX shore diving would be a good start, and have seen a lot of data regarding Nags Head, but I've never done it personally. Any recommended guides or volunteers to lead us out? I expect it to be a small group this time of year, 3-6 people, and that we'll all be comfortable with cold water diving (45-55 degrees this time of year?).

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks!

Mike

What were you planning on diving in OBX?

Mike,

There is a good bit of shore diving along the OBX with many sites that are currently accessable. For the sites along the north end of the beaches the water temps are available by checking the Duck pier site . I have some detailed info about most of the beach wreck sites on my web site.

You are going to find it difficult to dive the beach right now as the weather and seas are not very cooperative. This time of year you need to be able to go on the weather and not on any specific planned date. Watch the weather and verify surf conditions by using the fishing pier web cams before you drive down from VA. Water will not be as clear as good days during the summer, but you can have some decent diving if the seas are calm for a few days prior to your dive - but it will be cold, after all it is December.

Thanks McCainiac and Akyla.

I'm trying to put something together for late January or early February, and I'm trying to keep the costs down. Most of us have done Lake Rawlings way too many times, so I thought shore diving OBX might be a good change.

If the surf is that variable, perhaps I should consider other options. Are their any recommendations for NOBX in the February timeframe?

Mike,

There is a good bit of shore diving along the OBX with many sites that are currently accessable. For the sites along the north end of the beaches the water temps are available by checking the Duck pier site . I have some detailed info about most of the beach wreck sites on my web site.

You are going to find it difficult to dive the beach right now as the weather and seas are not very cooperative. This time of year you need to be able to go on the weather and not on any specific planned date. Watch the weather and verify surf conditions by using the fishing pier web cams before you drive down from VA. Water will not be as clear as good days during the summer, but you can have some decent diving if the seas are calm for a few days prior to your dive - but it will be cold, after all it is December.

Great info on your page Dave!!! I felt like yesterday was Christmas finding out there are so many wrecks off the beach to be explored in the OBX. Got a copy of Shipwrecks of the Outer Banks on the way too.

Mike let me know when you put together a dive and I'll try and make it. I plan on making several trips down in 2010. :D

Glad you found the web site info helpful. When you dive any of the sites if you find that the information needs an update, let me know so an update can help out other divers. Also, when you want to do some offshore dives to any of the other sites I have listed let me know...

Any plans yet Mike?

Mike do you know where I can dive for megaladon teeth in N.C? The cooper (coper)? river? we are coming to OBX in Sep. Thanks

Good News, I'm working on a get-together for the first Friday in February.

Bad News, the doctor has banned diving for me until my carpal tunnel is addressed.

I'm here, and will set up some meetings so we can get to know each other, but I'm out of the diving game for a while.

Mike

Mike do you know where I can dive for megaladon teeth in N.C? The cooper (coper)? river? we are coming to OBX in Sep. Thanks

Can't answer your question specifically, but the Cooper river is in SC (mouth is in Charleston). It's many hours drive from the OBX.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom