Shore diving question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Schnitzer

Registered
Reaction score
Fiancee and I are heading to Hawaii on the honeymoon. We're contemplating doing shore dives since she can get a little sea sick, but she may just take bonine. We've never done a shore dive (we are both relatively new to the sport, she has < 10 dives and I have about 20) and were wondering what it's like, is it difficult, how far of a surface swim is usually required, etc

any tips/advice would be appreciated!

The advice to hire a DM, at least for your first time out, is good. They'll be able to help you get used to shore diving techniques, show you the best dive spots, and generally help you have a good, safe time. Then, you'll probably feel more confident in heading out on your own.

The shore diving I did on Maui was extremely easy. The only surface swim was to get enough depth to put on our fins and descend. Surf wasn't an issue in the popular dive locations, but there was a little bit of current to plan around.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. Remember, "relax, breath slowly and deeply, don't panic" applies to weddings as well as diving!

thanks for the tips... we would be going out with a DM for sure, and that doesn't sound like it's too bad as far as surface swim is concerned (we're both good swimmers but I don't know how bad the current can be in Hawaii)

We'll be staying at the Princeville (Kauai) and Four Seasons (Maui) and I've heard the north shore of Kauai can be pretty rough...

and thanks for the wedding tip Scot! hehe

We'll be staying at the Princeville (Kauai) and Four Seasons (Maui)
Roughing it, eh?

Shore diving can be fun and inexpensive. But you do need to know some things.
1. How to read the waves. Waves come in cycles of 3-5 waves followed by a lull. Watch the water for 15 to 20 minutes and get a feel for the cycle. Enter the water and wade into knee deep water and wait for the last wave of the cycle, then go quickly out past the surf zone (past where the waves are breaking). Do it right entry is a breeze. Do it wroing and you will be rolling around on your a$# and may get injured.
2. If you meet a wave as you wade out know how to handle it. Waves that will strike you knee or below, just brace and turn sideways to prsent the smallest profile to the wave. If the wave hits you knee to mid thigh do the same as above or maybe even leap up a bit just as the wave gets to you. Wave waist high or higher, dive into the bottom of the wave an head for the ocean floor until the wave passes over you. I preferr no air in the BC to facilitate this. Others have in in the BC. You choose.
3. Know the local waters and hazards. There may be some things under the water that are just not diver friendly, rebar from an old dock just under the water where you wade in and other things. Some sites have rippiung currnets etc.
4. Fins off or on, your call. Me I like fins off until I am out past the surf zone so I can move quickly before the next wave comes. Others perferr fins on.

So a search of this site on beach diving there have been some long discussions on how to enter.

Look for signs of somting to see. If there are sea birds circling and diving, there are very likely fish.

Mr. Schnitzer:
We'll be staying at the Princeville (Kauai) and Four Seasons (Maui) and I've heard the north shore of Kauai can be pretty rough...
There is an onsite dive op on the beach in front of the Grand Wailea, right next door to the Four Seasons. They can take you an a spin around the reefs on either end of the Wailea beach. After you do a couple dives with a DM, Ulua is a nice easy to navigate, easy to enter/exit shore dive that is just 2 minutes from the hotel.

The Kihei boat ramp is only about 5 minutes away, and the run out to Molokini is about 20 minutes. Watch the weather closely and pick a good day and your wife will enjoy the trip. I've seen only a few people seasick on the boats out of Kihei, and those were mostly on rather sloppy days.

Charlie99:
There is an onsite dive op on the beach in front of the Grand Wailea, right next door to the Four Seasons. They can take you an a spin around the reefs on either end of the Wailea beach. After you do a couple dives with a DM, Ulua is a nice easy to navigate, easy to enter/exit shore dive that is just 2 minutes from the hotel.

QUOTE]

This was actually my first dive! I took the crash pool course on my honeymoon at the GW. The reef isn't bad at all. I saw rays, turtles, an octo, etc.

vladimir:
Roughing it, eh?

haha... well it IS the honeymoon

pasley:
Shore diving can be fun and inexpensive. But you do need to know some things.
1. How to read the waves. Waves come in cycles of 3-5 waves followed by a lull. Watch the water for 15 to 20 minutes and get a feel for the cycle. Enter the water and wade into knee deep water and wait for the last wave of the cycle, then go quickly out past the surf zone (past where the waves are breaking). Do it right entry is a breeze. Do it wroing and you will be rolling around on your a$# and may get injured.
2. If you meet a wave as you wade out know how to handle it. Waves that will strike you knee or below, just brace and turn sideways to prsent the smallest profile to the wave. If the wave hits you knee to mid thigh do the same as above or maybe even leap up a bit just as the wave gets to you. Wave waist high or higher, dive into the bottom of the wave an head for the ocean floor until the wave passes over you. I preferr no air in the BC to facilitate this. Others have in in the BC. You choose.
3. Know the local waters and hazards. There may be some things under the water that are just not diver friendly, rebar from an old dock just under the water where you wade in and other things. Some sites have rippiung currnets etc.
4. Fins off or on, your call. Me I like fins off until I am out past the surf zone so I can move quickly before the next wave comes. Others perferr fins on.

So a search of this site on beach diving there have been some long discussions on how to enter.

Look for signs of somting to see. If there are sea birds circling and diving, there are very likely fish.

Great tips, thanks! And I tried doing a search for shore dive surface swim and it was pages and pages of actual shore dive sites mostly

Charlie99:

The Kihei boat ramp is only about 5 minutes away, and the run out to Molokini is about 20 minutes. Watch the weather closely and pick a good day and your wife will enjoy the trip. I've seen only a few people seasick on the boats out of Kihei, and those were mostly on rather sloppy days.

Great! Thanks so much, I'll take this down as notes

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom