Shore Diving PCB / ST. Andrews Jetties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andrewc42

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
HI All, I'm new to the forum please let me know if this is the incorrect location for this post.
I'm heading to Panama City Beach early next month and will be shore diving as well as taking a charter or two.
Has anyone dove the St. Andrews jetties recently? I found a post from 2008 and was curious if the info was still valid.
Also, Are there any other good shore diving spots around the area you would recommend?
Ill be diving with my 14 year old son.

Thanks in Advance,

Not recently but do a search for the tide charts and the SA jetties to dive at the right time. The charter that you choose should be able to help you. Just make sure you have a flag and that you stay away from the fishermen. I have had several nice dives there but it has been a while. Also after you finish, you can burn off some remaining air in the tidal pool in about 5 to 8 feet of water along the jetty. Some neat critters can be found.

Also, go to www.shorediving.com and search for St Andrews jetties.

I am not familiar with any other beach dives but Vortex Springs and Morrison Springs are within an hours drive. Vortex is commercial while Morrison is a county park. Probably more to see at Vortex unless you are cavern certified.

Have fun.

I have over 100 dives at that site. Depth is roughly 10-12' max before crossing the rocks. I've never had issues with the fisherman but it is a possibility they hook and try to reel you in :). I always go about an hour before high tide. Consult the tide charts. There are a few spots that are easier to pass the rocks than others. They are fairly obvious. This time of year get there EARLY if the tide allows. I have seen a maximum depth of 72'. There is plenty of life to see! Definitely carry a flag especially in case you have to surface in the channel. I have seen vis so bad I've called the dive and I've seen it comparable to the Carribean (but very rare). Average vis I've seen is 20'-30'. I dont know of any other shore dives in the area worth mentioning as far as the ocean goes. Destin has a couple of shore dives but it's quite a walk to get to the water.

I have over 100 dives at that site. Depth is roughly 10-12' max before crossing the rocks. I've never had issues with the fisherman but it is a possibility they hook and try to reel you in :). I always go about an hour before high tide. Consult the tide charts. There are a few spots that are easier to pass the rocks than others. They are fairly obvious. This time of year get there EARLY if the tide allows. I have seen a maximum depth of 72'. There is plenty of life to see! Definitely carry a flag especially in case you have to surface in the channel. I have seen vis so bad I've called the dive and I've seen it comparable to the Carribean (but very rare). Average vis I've seen is 20'-30'. I dont know of any other shore dives in the area worth mentioning as far as the ocean goes. Destin has a couple of shore dives but it's quite a walk to get to the water.

Fifteen or so years ago, we had issues with some fishermen. Is that still a potential issue? Thanks.

It's a possibility because they're out there. If one happens to be reeling in and catches you then it could be an issue. Carry a line cutter. I've never had a problem but that's not to say it won't happen. I haven't been there since Hurricane Michael. I think it looks a little different out there but I'm not exactly sure what the changes are. If you can find it, check out John Chatterton's video of a dive out there. They were diving on a particular site out there with a TON of aquatic life. I've never been able to find the site. I'm fairly certain it was there. I think they were on CCR and scootered there. I could be completely mistaken. I've seen the video however I can't remember exactly where they were.

I dived there 3 times -- all in winter. 2 of the 3 the viz was terrible. The other time it was fine and we dived out the jetty a ways and back (70' about). And off the Gulf side to the jetty end (45'). On the poor viz days I just dived the "kiddie pool", which is about 8' at it's deepest. But I found a few large Florida Fighting Conchs and 2 adult True Tulips in the jetty rocks. I've heard that some will enter the channel from the kiddie pool, go around the end of the jetty and exit on the Gulf side beach-- or do the reverse, probably depending on tidal current. Of course it is best to dive at slack high tide unless you want the current in some direction in the channel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom