Shore diving North Ambergris Caye?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nope

No shore diving from Ambergris Caye whatsoever

Reason is, the reef is too far offshore and its only 6-10ft inside the reef and you don't get any depth until you are way beyond the Barrier Reef.

As you head north the reef does get closer to shore but where it meets the shore very far north and nothing up there development wise, it can also be very rough also.

Belize in general does not offer shore diving, with the exception of a very few offshore atolls even then its extremely limited.

Gaz

Hi there,

There is no shore diving on north Ambergris Caye, however, the resort i work for (Tranquility Bay Resort) is the last resort and the closest to the reef. You can snorkel to it or kayak and the diving is just the other side of the reef, so a 2 minute boat ride. The snorkeling here is amazing and very shallow, deepest point is about 5/6 feet. Also it is very safe as being the last resort we do not have much boat traffic at all.

The diving is great too, as I said a 2 minute boat ride so you can do your surface interval back at the resort. Plus as so few people come up here most sites are relatively unexplored. Whenever I have free time I am either diving or snorkeling!

Either way the diving in Ambergris Caye is great and there are trips to the offshore atolls as well.

I hope this helps!

Megan

That's true, but having got to the inside of the reef you then have to get over the top to the outer side, and swim away from it before being dashed against the coral by the waves that are there always except on the very rare occasions when there are absolutely none. Not realistic IMO nor particularly attractive. Suppose you get past this problem and get down the outer face of the reef for your dive, you're then faced with the reverse problem to get back. Without a boat, if you have any sort of a problem on the dive and have to surface you'll then be in a surface current that will (most times) carry you south.

No - use a boat.

I am sure Megan was not saying to go over the reef on a Kayak which would be extremely dangerous but I think its just the way she worded it she did say 2 minutes by boat but easy snorkeling using the Kayak for inside the reef.

Gaz

Just to be clear, although we are close to the reef which you can swim to, we always use the boat for diving the other side of the reef because as Peter said there is almost always a small swell.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Rocky Point. And you could shore dive into the cut at Bacolar Chico. It's a bit of a swim and not for a beginner diver but I've done it.

We are located just north of the Bacalar Chico cut but it is about 100 feet from the shore and the water before the cut is very shallow, just 3-5 feet. We are the closet resort to Rocky Point but it is a few miles walk to get there, so not a very practical option.

All in all the diving from Ambergris Caye is all boat diving but the reef is close so it is not a long boat ride.

100 feet in shallow water isn't a big deal. And you don't have to walk to Rocky Point, You could kayak. I've swam over the reef there. I spent a lot of time there in 99-01 constructing and starting up the Nova hatchery.

Hey Hank

You right but its not really practical for the visiting diver, you lived up there and had the luxury of waiting for a nice calm day to make the dive you also have the experience to attempt such as dive.

For visiting divers it is not possible as there are too many issues to dela with if like Hank you lived in the boonies for years and have the luxury to wait for one of those nice calm days even I would of liked to do that but in reality if your a visitor its not possible,

Gaz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom