Shore Diving Nearest Orlando?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeditdog

Registered
Reaction score
I’m considering moving to Orlando area from the Rocky Mountains.

Would like to dive once or twice a month on weekends but still make it back home to spend the 2nd half of the day with the family.

Do you think I’d be able to find shore dive sites and dive buddies within in 90 minutes of the area?

My main constraint in choosing a location is needing to live within an hour of the airport. If want to live as near diving as possible is Kissimmee better than somewhere like Lake Mary?

Thanks - excited to be exploring this with the family, but based on some of my research I’m wondering if This plan is going to be as good as I hoped.

Would love to hear how shore divers living in the Orlando area are spending their weekends.

FYI KIssimmee is very very very busy place! It will take half your 90 minutes just getting out of town! That being said not sure of shore diving close but lots of boat diving on either side of you,,,never dove the Tampa side but West Palm is close enough for you as well and it is good diving

yeah I was looking at the list of dive sites pinned on the Florida Board. Looks like if I expand my window to 2.5 hours there's plenty of options on either side.

I've been able to dive West Palm a few times.

Thanks for feedback on Kissimmee as well. We're talking with agents, but I need to get in a couple of Reddit conversations -- had to get diving questions out of the way first :cool:

Hi @jeditdog

From Orlando, you'd be within striking distance of some very good ocean diving, Jupiter, West Palm, including Blue Heron Bridge, Boynton Beach. However, it would take you the better part, or the whole day, to make the round trip and get in 2-4 dives.

I dive with folks from Orlando not infrequently. There are SBers who can comment on making this trip

if there are any maps of dive sites in Florida - please point me in that direction. I figured there be some maps for sale on Amazon, but those look limited to the Keys.

Yea good maps are hard to find....your best friend from that area will probably be the turnpike which will skirt all the best dive shop/charters in the W Palm/Pompano area. I am ESE of Orlando/Kissimmee and usually average a 2 hour one way trip. Well worth a good dive

If you are going to the trouble of driving to the Palm Bea
ch area from Orlando, I would recommend investing the money and going on a boat

If you are going to the trouble of driving to the Palm Beach area from Orlando, I would recommend investing the money and going on a boat

You know I'd just be looking for variety. I'm sure there's times I'd go out on a boat - have had great experiences in the past, but looking for a little more freedom and choice if there's good options. Since I paid to get certified with my first pay-check as a teenager, I've wanted to be a frequent kayak diver.

Sometimes will want quality, sometimes will just want bottom time.

Which brings me to my next question. Is diving closer to Cocoa Beach just absolutely terrible or is Jupiter-South so much better that nobody dives nearer to CB?

I was looking at the thread on Destin and a frequent caveat is "it's not the keys but..." -- I'd be happy to get some close by bottom time on some weekends and then make the longer drive on others.

If you want some springs, Williston (Blue Grotto and Devils Den) are about 90 miles from Orlando.

Jupiter is probably closest ocean diving that isn't a long boat ride.

When high tide is early morning, you can get up super early and drive to Blue Heron Bridge for some really good and easy shore dives

I appreciate the feedback everyone.
I watched some videos of dives North of Jupiter -- I can see why the drive is made. Though I gotta admit, I'll probably try it once or twice.

Next step is to figure out areas we're most interested in before having an agent show us properties, but I'll talk to other message boards for that.

Hopefully, I'll be joining you all in Florida in a few months

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom