Shore diving near Freeport?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A friend and I are headed to the Freeport area in May. However, the shop we're diving with doesn't charter on Sunday (our third full day there). We're flying out on Monday, so we thought we'd like to do some shallow dives, hopefully from shore. Are there any convenient shore dives in the Freeport area? They don't have to be spectacular...we enjoy just about any ocean dives (providing there are at least SOME marine life to see). Thanks for any info you might be able to provide.

Yeah, have you ever been to freeport? I just got certified a few months back, but I went to freeport like 6 months ago. It seemed like almost everyday I was driving to the east end of the island and snorkeling "paradise cove". Had alottta nice fish, a very nice reef about 1/2 mile out. It's a great place to snorkel, but I have no idea as to whether or not you can scuba. I'm sure you can. The people there were laid back. I didnt see any tanks there so you may need to rent and just haul it there. After about 1/2 mile out, it just goes down to like 40-60ft and its beautiful.

Other than that, when I would go to the marketplace (Lucaya) there was alot of boats in the harbor that looked like dive boats. There was alot of flyers, etc. So thats another option.

Thank you. We're already booked for at least two days of boat diving, but we were looking for some shallow shore dives for the last day just to round out the trip. I appreciate your feedback.

By the way...where did you stay?

not much to do as a shore dive, sand,,,,
a pay to enter is dead mans reef,aka pirates cove,
a boiling hole,small blue hole can be found off cemetery rd. out east end McLean's town for more of a snorkel on a out flow,
a great place to stay is Our Lucaya,
if your looking for inexpensive,clean with dive shop Bell Channel Inn has been a favorite of ours on long stays.

I stayed at Taino Beach, on Freeport. We drove to that dead mans reef (I think its called Paradise cove). It's amazingly beautiful. They do charge to dive/snorkel, it's not much. I was snorkeling at the time, so idk if they even have diving gear. If not, you can get it somewhere on the island I'm sure and bring it. It's about a half mile swim out then the cliff just drops - amazing. Let us know how it went

Thanks for the info. I made my trip on May 12-16 (before your post), but I appreciate you input.

We did, indeed, go out to Paradise cove after two days of boat diving. However, although the weather was great for the boat dives, when we went to the cove, we had incredibly stiff winds. Wave action beyond the breakwater was HUGE (crashing waves shot 20 feet into the air over the wall), so snorkeling was absolutely out.

We did travel east to the Lakaya National Park and snorkel there in the morning, though. Wave action wasn't as high then, yet it was quite a feat to get out to the small island and get some images in the surge. (I forgot to take dramamine...yes, for snorkeling...and did get a bit queasy before heading in. Won't do that again...forget, that is).

Again, thanks for your input. We had a great time!

Back
Top Bottom