Shore diving locations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZoSo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Besides Bonaire and the Caymans what are some other good Islands for shore diving?

Curacao
I'll admit we are biased since we chose to move here last year from New Hampshire. Shore diving is easy. The drive from site to site is much longer than on Bonaire since the beaches are all natural cuts into the cliffs. But in comparison to Bonaire the west end has very little shore break and none of the iron formed coral masses at the shore line to manuever over with the gear on your back. There are small bits of coral so booties are extremely helpful. The reef is between 20 to 80 yards from shore but it is an easy back float out over the sandy bottom and then a nice slope in for your safety stop. Even snorkelers find turtles, rays, sand eels and seahorses in the shallows. We think that most of the great dives can be done from shore with the exception of Watamula and a couple of other sites. If you consider Curacao, I'd suggest staying in Banda Bou - the West end. It is a 40 minute drive from Willemstad. there are 2 dive resorts; Habitat and Sunset Waters and many apartments to choose from. Please let me know if you would like any additional information on Curacao or specific dive questions.
Sunshine
Curacao Sunshine - Rental Property on the Island of Curacao
curacaosunshine@gmail.com

Hi Zoso,

Let me add to Sunshine's message, that for shore diving on Curacao you will definitely need a car. If you plan to dive a lot, it is best to make a non-limit-air arrangement with a dive shop. It is cheaper than renting tank by tank. At ..:: All West Curacao ::.. you can get everything out of one hand: Apartment with ocean view, a beautiful housereef and a dive locker room with full tanks 24 hours a day; dive package (if you like, add some boat dives departing from Playa Kalki, just 2 minutes away from the apartments by car); car rental.

I agree with Sunshine that shore diving on Curacao is among the best in the world - I spent 3 dive vacations on Curacao before I decided to come and live here!

Best regards from the Caribbean
Andreas

I was on St.John USVI back in Jan and although I was not a certified diver at that point my wife and I spent several hours every day in the water snorkeling many different beaches. The two that stand out to me as great beach diving locations are Salt Pond Bay on the extreme southern end of the island. You will need a car to got to this location but worth the drive. The other would be Waterlemon Kay its a short hike down a trail to the water and a surface sum to you dive sight. Again you would need a car. I am sure there are plenty of other locations on the island that would be great for diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom