Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking to do a casual shore dive in Lake Michigan from Michigan's west side. Ideally, I would like an area not too far from one of the cities over there like Saugatuck, South Haven, or Grand Haven.

I don't need to dive a wreck or anything. I'm just looking to see some fish around 40-50 ft down that's not a long swim from shore.

Any recommendations?

Unfortunately there is almost nothing in that part of Lake Michigan that can be done from shore. It's an underwater desert for the most part. No rock formations, few wrecks, and unfriendly currents when the prevailing winds are out of the west. However, if you want to contend with heavy boat traffic and low vis, I suggest going a tad further north to Muskegon to the Henry Cort and the "pond" inside the harbor. The rivers at Benton Harbor, Grand Haven, and Holland are divable if you are hunting artifacts, but beware of low vis (<3ft).

Back
Top Bottom